Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note Concerning Site Moderation

Most people I know with the technical expertise and practical experience don't want to be given special titles or special influence. Especially as to how things get moderated. More than one of the board's "SME's" pushed back when Todd suggested such a status. The concept of it is nice in theory, but none of us are holier than thou, or infallible. Sometimes we're flat out wrong.

My frustration with forums in general lies with ignorance and malicious posts towards other members. You can't moderate a persons personality. If they choose to be an ignorant asshole, all you can really do is slap them with the ban hammer. That said, even nice people have bad days, and the Internet is famous for its ability to misconstrue meaning of remarks.

I don't know how to effectively moderate a shooting forum. This is why I'm not a moderator.

The best solution ive found has been to not participate in topics where known jackasses are lingering.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Or like when people ragequit over and over and over again.

They don't really hate PF, they just love ragequitting.
    The key to forum zen is that quit-raging is more effective than rage-quitting.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Did LL make a "mods here are shit" joke yet or do I need to?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Did LL make a "mods here are shit" joke yet or do I need to?
    Multi thread crossover joke:

The key-mods here are shit.
    --Josh

This is starting to get good.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Multi thread crossover joke:

The key-mods here are shit.
    Careful or the thread may get m-lok'ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Careful or the thread may get m-lok'ed.
    M-LOK, N-LOD, potato, potahto.
    --Josh

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It was a little obtuse. My first proposal was, "How do we measure that?", and then I was like, "Nah, I could use bigger words than that." At any rate, sorry for the non-RR thread hijack.

ETA: On a different note, I've always been curious about the concept of sort of a "super user" type thing. We still want the forum to be focused on shooting, but we don't want to devolve into hunting for "likes" or rating people on a post count. So, why not dig through the technical forums to see who consistently makes solid contributions there, and designate those folks as "super users." Guys like @HeadHunter, @BehindBlueI's, @John Hearne, @Wayne Dobbs, @Sean M, @Dagga Boy, @Surf, and plenty of others are the ones that bring the technical value to the forum.

If you designate folks like that as "super users," and then when they get pissed off by something, I would opine that should be treated differently than your run of the mill member that just sort of hangs out. And you can keep the designation under wraps, so people don't get butt hurt about not being chosen to be put in that category.
    I jokingly changed my title to "Rod" awhile back after some PMs and it was a joke (probably to no one but me) along the lines of "Thy Rod and thy staff..." The Rod's purpose is simply to skull things that need to be skulled. It doesn't have the concerns the Staff must. I do not think I would make a good Staff. Tom has been way more patience with posers and general fuckery than I would have been. I also do not have to live with the consequences or the financial concerns, nor am I willing to dedicate as much of my time and energy as he is.

Honestly, I waiver on how much to participate. I am quite aware I shit post and joke around as much, or more, as anyone. I do this mostly for my own amusement, and now for Blues, since he seems to share my sense of humor. I do not know the end goal for PF. It seems to me it used to be more of a encyclopedia, a repository for information but not much socialization and fairly firm moderation to stay on topic. It's more of a mix of chat room and repository now. It seems more active, as well, but we've lost some folks who were valuable and helped make this place different. Not a value judgement, simply an observation. The greatest resource in the world is useless if it can't keep the lights on and no one can use it. It seems to me most of the conflicts invariably involve the same hand full of members. That is why you do not want me as Staff. Tom works hard to keep the herd safe and happy. I'd just skull the problem, and move on.

I'd laugh my ass off if the opposite of an SME system was put into place, though. Some enforced title that is the equivalent of wearing a helmet when you have to go outside and being reminded that we don't lick windows, now do we?
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 05-16-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: speling iz hard

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I am quite aware I shit post and joke around as much, or more, as anyone. I do this mostly for my own amusement, and now for Blues, since he seems to share my sense of humor.
    Sure, throw me under the bus why dontcha? And here I was being all quiet and good sitting in the corner with my hands in my lap, fingers interlaced.

(And I even sent a PM to Tom this morning pretty much quoting "Froggy the Gremlin", (you'd have to be really old to even have a clue), stating essentially: "I'll be good, I will, I will".)

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List