Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note Concerning Site Moderation

A Note Concerning Site Moderation

PF staff is taking a more marked interest in actively moderating the technical forums. Which forums are considered technical? Everything except the following:

• Training Journals
    • All forums under the header "Classes & Training"
    • General Discussion
    • Gallery
    • All forums under the header "For Sale or Trade"

The above bulleted forums are lightly moderated, however it's expected that there will be no disrespect to site SMEs, "astroturfing", gratuitous profanity, or calls for inter-forum warfare.

Technical forums are not the place for political commentary or general complaining. If this stuff is occurring, a public warning will be issued and moving forward the automated Infraction system will be utilized. This system keeps a permanent record of moderation and assigns point values to the infractions, which in turn can generate appropriate length bans.

Law Enforcement has its own standards to be enforced by the LEO mods.

A reminder:

I. Mission statement:

The mission of pistol-forum.com is to serve as a professional resource for the exchange of information and ideas on the use of the pistol (and other firearms) in self defense, in an armed profession, and in competition. Through the respectful exchange of concepts and information we hope to be a resource that everyone from the accomplished professional to the relative novice can use to refine their ideas and practices to produce the best possible results for their situation.

II. General rules of conduct:

To further the goals of the site as specified in the mission statement, we have developed a code of conduct that we expect members of pistol-forum.com to abide by at all times. Failure to abide by the rules of the site can result in suspension or even termination of your posting privileges.

Under absolutely no circumstances should you ever:

•Post derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.

•Post comments in support of criminal violence or other illegal activities, including illegal modifications of firearms.

•Post comments that threaten harm to law enforcement officers, members of the military, government officials, other members, or the public at large.

•Post someone else’s personal information without permission, or attempt to interfere with someone’s personal/professional life based on web forum discussion.

•Clutter a thread with extraneous nonsense unrelated to the topic.

When involved in discussions we expect you to:

•Remain polite and professional in your conversation with others. Demeaning, insulting, and berating other members will not be tolerated. You are free to disagree, but do so respectfully and with humility.

•Heed direction from pistol-forum.com staff. The volunteer members of staff have been entrusted with the responsibility of protecting the forum’s value to the membership. Your cooperation with them in the effort to make this an outstanding resource is greatly appreciated.

•Show patience with new members who may be unfamiliar with the culture or features of the site. Offering good-natured guidance to new members is encouraged and appreciated.

Use the report function to alert members of staff to behavior that is not consistent with the conduct we expect of our membership. If someone is out of line, report them. Do not sink to their level.

•Try to use proper English to aid in the comprehensibility of the forum

•Abstain from any inter-forum warfare. Do not say mean things about other forums or people from other forums. We are here to discuss ideas, not personalities.

•Try to keep threads on topic.

•Abstain from posting, or linking to, Not-Safe-For-Work content (pictures, websites, etc.). This would include use in avatars, signatures, etc.

No whining, please.

•Disclose any commercial interest you have in a product or vendor. This can be done in your signature.

•Abstain from complaining about a problem with a product you aren't willing to contact the manufacturer about.

Please note that simply because you report a post does not necessarily mean action will be taken. Your report is just that - it's not an order to site staff. We will, however, carefully consider all reported posts.

Thanks again for your continued support.

At the first unnecessary personality conflict in a thread, a general warning will be issued. Any further unhelpful posts will be unceremoniously addressed via the Infraction system. Whining about infractions will be met with further infractions. Do not whine about an infraction if you receive one. You received one because you needed an attention-getter.

Site Supporter
    Membership on gun forums trend heavily male, obviously. We have our share of posts of a locker room nature (I'm sure I'm guilty of a few, although much more mindful for a while now) that I read and wonder what Tam or Stephanie B are thinking when they read it. Are we chasing away that valuable perspective or would Jay just accuse me of being easily butthurt?

It's a tough balance encouraging serious, broad-perspective, discussion while maintaining a convivial atmosphere.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Membership on gun forums trend heavily male, obviously. We have our share of posts of a locker room nature (I'm sure I'm guilty of a few, although much more mindful for a while now) that I read and wonder what Tam or Stephanie B are thinking when they read it. Are we chasing away that valuable perspective or would Jay just accuse me of being easily butthurt?

It's a tough balance encouraging serious, broad-perspective, discussion while maintaining a convivial atmosphere.
    Don't forget Tiffany...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I am reminded of this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Guns-for-Girls

Like many things in life, the simple things are often the hardest. I get why people are looser with their words online than offline, but I think the rationale behind that is stupid and flawed; there are many of us that have been able to maintain a polished online persona across multiple forums for long spans of time.

Moderators,
    I want to understand where you draw the line on derogatory racial comments. For instance, is complaining about Black Lives Matter considered derogatory? Is the mere mention of BLM derogatory? Or, is pointing out high crime rates in poor black or Hispanic communities considered derogatory? Is making statements supporting confederate statues derogatory? Please give some advice.

Also, I would like to understand where you draw the line on sexual content. It is difficult because this is mostly a male forum, and some use sexually suggestive language. Is use of the word "d*ldo" or "p_nis" or "pu??y" a violation or would it have to actually be in an offensive image or sexually suggestive sentence?

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Is saying IDPA is ghey considered sexually inappropriate?

[runs away]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Cody, that is the exact same message you sent via PM and that I replied to above. If you've read my post and it seems unclear, I'd suggest reading it again. If that doesn't help, my advice would be if you think you "need permission" or "clarification" to before posting something, that's a good indication you probably shouldn't.
    As long as its ok that I instantly have Tom Jones belting out Delilah every time I see your avatar, then I am all for any needed update.
    (I think I am really dating myself)

When do you expect that to be completed?

Is saying IDPA is ghey considered sexually inappropriate?
    See its just this sort of thing thats reflects poorly. As multi year IDPA member its I Don't Practice Anymore. Get it right!
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-15-2017 at 01:14 PM.

After being taken to task by the mods yesterday, I'll agree that there were extraneous and questionable elements to my original post. I can see the point of bringing this to my attention.

On the other hand, the staff's reference to my "shitty comments" and "Bullshit disclaimer" in the post, in my view, wasn't a "mod like" way of going about raising the issue. Right or wrong, I admit it got my hackles up a bit.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    My apologies George. I prefer to take a more "civil" (for lack of a better term) approach to moderation. All the moderators here are completely uncompensated volunteers and regular human beings. As such, they are likely to respond and react as imperfectly as any of us from time to time. The only person I expect a fully robotic demeanor from is me.
    Understood. Perhaps there's something here for all of us "regular humans" to be more aware of: Staff as well as the riff raff.
    Last edited by walker2713; 05-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List