Thread: Pat down the afros.

Pat down the afros.

Name:  Screenshot_2017-05-14-14-50-58.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  32.8 KB

Chicagoland resident donning an impressive afro brought into ER via EMS with c/c of AMS (altered mental status). Patients admitted via EMS do not pass through metal detectors present at hospital entrances. Patient sent to receive a CT scan until this obvious finding was noted on the initial xray. At no point did staff notice the loaded pistol present in the patient's extensive head of hair. Never underestimate what can be hidden in hair...

Picture courtesy of emergency medicine resident Dr. "Ronald Frump" on Figure 1.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

That was pretty much standard procedure back in the day. Picks, knives, etc. Can't say I ever came across a gun though.
    (I couldn't hide a housefly in my buzz cut.)

ETA: SOP was to have them bend over and run their fingers through their hair to dislodge needles, dope, razors, what have you. (But as I say I've never come across a gun in that manner before...though if they had a "Jiffy Pop" hat on, all bets were off. SOP may require modification.)
    Last edited by blues; 05-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Bonus points if you can name the brand/model/caliber of the pistol in question. I personally have no clue. Hi point?
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Looks like a Raven .25 to me.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Looks like a Raven .25 to me.
    I concur.

I've seen video of a J frame concealed in Dreadlocks under a Jiffy pop hat.

Site Supporter
    EMS and the ER attending need a spanking for botching their hands on physical assessment....
    Last edited by Jason M; 05-14-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    EMS and the ER attending need a spanking for botching their hands on physical assessment....
    I second this.

Note to self: when traveling to Chicago, shave head prior to arrival lest EMS/ER staff fail to notice the softball size lump at the top of my head in case of head injury. I wouldn't want them to miss the massive extrusion of parietal brain matter under my 'fro for lack of looking.

I always check the hair. A couple weeks ago we found a couple of 3 inch nails in a suspect's hair.

User Tag List