Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical accuracy expectations from a 16" gas gun

Practical accuracy expectations from a 16" gas gun

I've recently transitioned from a 1-4 on my 16" AR to a quality 2.5-10. The barrel is a medium contour 5.56 chamber and floated.

With the new optic and my current commercial 77gr selection I'm reliably getting 1.5-2MOA at 600 yards and usually similar results at 100. Part of me suspects that me + the optic exceed the capability of the rifle.

I have a few questions for those more experienced than me:
    1. What's a reasonable accuracy expectstion for a gas gun and 5.56 chamber using match ammo?
    2. How important is having sub-MOA accuracy when engaging small targets out to 600 yards? I'd call 1-2 MOA a small target.
    3. What is the path to greater accuracy? New barrel? Better ammo? What are the recommendations for barrels these days? Hand loading is not an option.

I'm measuring accuracy as 5 and 10 round groups. Sometimes fired from a bench, sometimes prone with a sling and or rest.

Also- I've noticed that my 100 yard groups are frequently less impressive than 200 or 300. Has anyone else seen this before?

A lot of folks evaluate accuracy with 3-shot groups. The more shots you fire, the bigger the group gets, so you're probably doing better than you think.

If you don't handload, I'd start by testing ammo. You may find a load that shoots much better in your rifle than what you're shooting now

The difference in your groups at 100, 200, and 300 yards is probably a parallax issue in your scope. I wouldn't sweat it.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 05-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I use a 1-6 on my Colt 16" gas gun. It's the low cost version and totally bare bones but I'd get a decent 1.5-2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 with standard 55gr American Eagle. Never really evaluated it further before sending it down the road to another owner.

With handloads or match grade ammo you can probably do better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What is your barrels twist rate? If not 1/7, try a 69gr or less bullet. As already mentioned, different guns like different ammo so try some different brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Twist rate is 1/8. Scope is NXS 2.5-10. ammo is IMI mk262

1.5moa or better for a 10 shot group is my standard. My ddm4 chrome lined gov hovers around 1-1.2 at 100.

Have you tried other ammo? I've not shot the IMI but I've seen a few posts about this ammo grouping larger than 1.0 MOA.

Barrel manufacturer and profile? Trigger? Bipod? Bags? Lot of variables to be answered.
    #RESIST

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I started my "precision" journey with an 18" 5.56. Quckly became frustrated and went to a .308 bolt gun. Its hard to revisit the AR platform when you start getting sub-moa past 600yds. I found there were just too many variables to nail down with it. It was like playing "bop-a-mole". I'd get decent groups testing ammo, only to have one or two shots blow the targets.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I started my "precision" journey with an 18" 5.56. Quckly became frustrated and went to a .308 bolt gun. Its hard to revisit the AR platform when you start getting sub-moa past 600yds. I found there were just too many variables to nail down with it. It was like playing "bop-a-mole". I'd get decent groups testing ammo, only to have one or two shots blow the targets.
    That's gas guns for you. They are much harder to shoot well with and ultimately, less accurate than bolt guns.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-15-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    #RESIST

User Tag List