Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RANGE RULES: No You Can’t Retrieve Your Silencer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Knock on wood, I've never launched a can but I've seen suppressors launched down range, even during manufacturers demos with cans mounted by the factory rep. It happens.
    Might I ask what the failure modes were? Absent a baffle strike, having the threads strip seems unlikely, for a direct thread. Maybe some of the quick-attach ones can end up not really attached?

(I'm asking because I'd rather avoid whatever those failure modes are!)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Might I ask what the failure modes were? Absent a baffle strike, having the threads strip seems unlikely, for a direct thread. Maybe some of the quick-attach ones can end up not really attached?

(I'm asking because I'd rather avoid whatever those failure modes are!)
    Direct Threads can loosen from vibrations. The failures I was referring to were SILENCERCO Saker mounts. I believe there is a reason they seem to have returned to the ASR mounting system.

Yes, I read about how the 1st gen Surefire SOCOM cans could appear to be locked on, but weren't. Supposedly some operators launched cans at the enemy. I wonder if any were taken out by impact from a flying suppressor?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    The original story says the suppressor is an NFA item. I think the owner was correct in that the NFA item was out of his possession and control. Isn't that a federal criminal offense? Maybe both the owner and the ranger people may have been in violation when they both left the restricted item without anyone in possession. Certainly, someone who worked at the range could have picked it up and left with it, right.

So, I would have placed a call to ATF from the range manager's office to let ATF know that the range was now in possession of a restricted item and to contact the range to discuss that fact with them, and also to perhaps, while the ATF people were there, review the range's 4473 forms, because if the range is that negligent with NFA rules, perhaps it is as negligent in other rules as well.
    The range should not have interfered with the guys possession of a restricted item.
    Last edited by wrmettler; 05-14-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    This same thing actually happened to me the first time I fired a rifle with my Omega attached. I use the ASR mount, which is a good system, but I simply failed to lock it in place. Stupid move. Anyway, the first shot launched my suppressor down range. A cease fire was immediately called and after the RO and I both checked to make sure everyone had stepped away from the line I went and retrieved it. No drama ensued.

I've fired both my equipped rifles with the suppressor lots of times since then and haven't made the same mistake twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, I read about how the 1st gen Surefire SOCOM cans could appear to be locked on, but weren't. Supposedly some operators launched cans at the enemy. I wonder if any were taken out by impact from a flying suppressor?
    It's also in the manual...to shoot them off your gun if they get stuck...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Assertiveness works - Walk the line loudly calling a cease fire, and go down and retrieve your suppressor. Have a nice day. I would not have left it behind.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Assertiveness works - Walk the line loudly calling a cease fire, and go down and retrieve your suppressor. Have a nice day. I would not have left it behind.
    In theory anyone should be able to do this. I've seen similar for other odds and ends falling off of guns. People, no matter how stupid, tend to listen when you get a few others on your side and act in charge.

This makes me wonder if an air horn might be a good range bag item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This makes me wonder if an air horn might be a good range bag item.
    Off to buy an air horn. Damn good idea

Airhorns will only make people think you MLG 360 no-scoped a target.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List