Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RANGE RULES: No You Can’t Retrieve Your Silencer

Site Supporter

RANGE RULES: No You Can’t Retrieve Your Silencer

RANGE RULES: No You Can’t Retrieve Your Silencer

Unfortunately, the range rules can be arbitrary and focused on liability rather than the protection of your gear. One Reddit user found this out the hard way when his silencer became unmounted enough to fly down range and into the backstop.

However, as the story goes, the range safety officer (RSO) refused to call the the line cold so that the customer could retrieve his silencer. In fact, the shooter was told to come back at the end of the night, and when he did, he was given the remains of his can.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...silencer-shot/

Supposedly they refuse to call a cease fire, the guy leaves and comes back the next morning to find his can has taken two bullet strikes and his suppressor cover is missing.

Thoughts on this ? Legit story?

If true, would you leave your can there or call the cops ? Personally they can have me trespassed from the place but I would not be leaving without my suppressor.

Sounds like a power tripping RO.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If true, would you leave your can there or call the cops ?
    At least here, calling the cops will get you nothing. It's a civil issue. They did not steal it. The idea they "took possession of it" is quite a stretch. The shooter put in there, unintentionally, but he put it there. I can't throw my ball in your yard then cry you stole it, even if you won't chain up your dogs for me to get it. If they were negligent or not, well juries are weird creatures, but I don't see where they have any duty to protect property you placed in a dangerous location.

Irresponsible at a minimum if true. If true, I hope he gets his pound of flesh. He deserves it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    At least here, calling the cops will get you nothing. It's a civil issue. They did not steal it. The idea they "took possession of it" is quite a stretch. The shooter put in there, unintentionally, but he put it there. I can't throw my ball in your yard then cry you stole it, even if you won't chain up your dogs for me to get it. If they were negligent or not, well juries are weird creatures, but I don't see where they have any duty to protect property you placed in a dangerous location.
    Private property and a public business are two different situations. Plus ceasefires are a common and accepted practice for many reasons in that industry. Unless they have something in the range rules stating no ceasefires and providing notice ahead of time, there is no reason a cease fire would not be expected. There is a big difference between a $1 paper target going down and a $1,000 legally restricted item.

I've gotta call BS on that story! AND if by some fluke of galactic alignments, his suppressor chose to depart his firearm, then there was some greater issue at play here. [emoji897]

--
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

If true I'd definitely sue the range for damages which could have been prevented.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    I've gotta call BS on that story! AND if by some fluke of galactic alignments, his suppressor chose to depart his firearm, then there was some greater issue at play here. [emoji897]

--
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Knock on wood, I've never launched a can but I've seen suppressors launched down range, even during manufacturers demos with cans mounted by the factory rep. It happens.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Private property and a public business are two different situations. Plus ceasefires are a common and accepted practice for many reasons in that industry. Unless they have something in the range rules stating no ceasefires and providing notice ahead of time, there is no reason a cease fire would not be expected. There is a big difference between a $1 paper target going down and a $1,000 legally restricted item.
    As a cop, I can enforce law, not industry best practices. Legally, no, there's no difference between a business and private property in this instance, at least in my state. There is no legal authority for me to force a cease fire, and retrieval if your property is a civil matter.

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    I've gotta call BS on that story!
    Uh, okay. Still happened though, more details in the reddit thread.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List