Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Knife as a SD weapon - aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It's pretty rare that I wish I was at a party, but I coulda got drunk and disagreed with all that...

Oh yeah, I used to work on vacuum tube amps as a side business...
    I am looking at the blackface 1967 Fender Bassman across the room and chuckling.
    Misanthropist, do I have it correct that you are stating that said poet thought tube pre amplification was unnecessary or undesirable, or that you think so?
    It might be I haven't had enough coffee to properly parse Canuckian.

I too have carried a pocket knife for the vast majority of my 51 years, including all of my secondary and high school days without incident. Only one occasion where any thing was said comes to mind. But to paraphrase Tam, I don't carry anything at people.
    Pocket clip knives were very prevalent in the entertainment software companies where I used to work, and are de rigeur in the wood shops where I ply my trade now.
    The EDC for the last 18 years is a 1999 Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker. The "dress up" knife is a mid-1990s Al Mar Eagle Talon with ebony scales.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The EDC for the last 18 years is a 1999 Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker. The "dress up" knife is a mid-1990s Al Mar Eagle Talon with ebony scales.
    I've got one in M2, Lex. Been a while since I've seen them but I've been out to dinner with Allen and his wife in years past at either the Blade Show or Guild Show. I think it may have been the latter since they were close with Bud Nealy and his cohort which was always a yearly hoot back then when I still lived in FL.
    Last edited by blues; 05-27-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The EDC for the last 18 years is a 1999 Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker...
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've got one in M2, Lex...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I feel like the debutante who shows up at the Ball wearing the same gown as the hostess.

Name:  Al_Mar_&_Stryker.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  97.2 KB

I've subscribed to the thread; there seems to be some useful stuff here, and much food for thought.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Black is beautiful...

Name:  FullSizeRender - Edited.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  38.2 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

This is getting weird...

Pulling the knife out to take that snapshot, I'm struck by how ahead of its time it was, by production standards. The first big-box knife i am aware of that dished out the G10 to guide the thumb to the opener; the disc--which I still think is better than a stud or spyderhole with slick hands--the unmatched blade-to-handle length ratio; the ATS-34, which holds an edge as well in 2017 as it did in 1997... all these newer designs (Striders, Hinderer, high end Spydercos, Protech... Grayman, even a custom Phantom) came and went from my safe, but this one is still here. It might be a hair dainty compared to this millennium's sharpened prybar trend, but man... what a great design.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I am looking at the blackface 1967 Fender Bassman across the room and chuckling.
    Misanthropist, do I have it correct that you are stating that said poet thought tube pre amplification was unnecessary or undesirable, or that you think so?
    It might be I haven't had enough coffee to properly parse Canuckian.

I too have carried a pocket knife for the vast majority of my 51 years, including all of my secondary and high school days without incident. Only one occasion where any thing was said comes to mind. But to paraphrase Tam, I don't carry anything at people.
    Pocket clip knives were very prevalent in the entertainment software companies where I used to work, and are de rigeur in the wood shops where I ply my trade now.
    Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

He thought only the last stage of amplification mattered, on the grounds that that was the last stage before the human ear.

My experience has been that tube pre-amps are pretty worthwhile because I like the warmth I get on the gain, and I haven't had a ton of luck replicating that really organic, random tone with solid state gear. I accept the idea that it's possible, but my personal experience has been that if I'm amplifying a guitar, I want tubes up front, ideally a tube power amp as well, and quality speakers, but if that whole thing gets miked and run through a big solid-state amp, the results aren't bad. But signal chain is important, I think: you need to make decisions about where your reverb goes, for example, or wah, or whatever. If you put everything in the wrong order you can really screw up the sound. I think the same is true with tube amplification generally; there's a big difference between a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp, and a solid state pre-amp and a tube power amp. You might get a good sound out of the latter but in general I think it's harder; as a gain junkie I usually want the tubes pretty far forward in the chain.

The poet's perspective was that it shouldn't matter if anything other than the last stage before the human ear is tube. Potentially there's a point there, but like most discussions where one person has a ton of experience with trying different things and one is just expounding on the basis of his own high opinion of his personal education, it was nuanced on one side, and belligerent on the other.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Since this is the Edged Weapons forum and we're discussing Knives as SD tools...I got this in the mail today, Sentinel Gear Senka - Reverse Edge G10- no metal in blade or sheath. Super light, very stabby, a nice NPE tool.

Attachment 16830[/QUOTE]

Looks nice.
    Of course, they're sold out...

Site Supporter
    Obviously two competing claims but if the “victims” were drunk and underage it appears to support his claims.

Bumping this thread since this seems relevant:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin...6c5dccbec577fe

Wisconsin river tubing stabbing suspect claims self-defense, says he was falsely accused as a 'child molester'
    Nicolae Miu says he was looking for friend’s missing phone on Apple River when group began yelling he was a pedophile ‘out looking for little girls’

A Minnesota man accused of going on a deadly stabbing rampage at a popular tubing destination on a Wisconsin river is now held on $1 million bail despite telling investigators he acted in self-defense when a group of young people accused him of being a "child molester" and attacked him first in the water.

Nicolae Miu, 52, of Prior Lake, Minnesota, is accused of fatally stabbing a 17-year-old rising high school senior and seriously wounding four others, men and a woman in their 20s, Saturday afternoon while out tubing on an area of the Apple River in Wisconsin so badly that one of the victims’ intestines were "hanging from their body" and a slash wound was "exposing internal organs," according to an affidavit.

But once confronted by investigators, Miu said he, his wife and two friends had come to the river that morning to go tubing, and he had acted in "self-defense" when a group of young people swarmed around him while he went out looking for one of his friends’ lost cell phone, which was in a floater bag.

Miu said the group of young people accused him of being a "child molester," and video captured someone in a crowd converging toward Miu claiming that he was a pedophile "looking for little girls," according to the affidavit. Miu, seen on cell phone video taking out a knife clipped to his own pocket, claimed that others "produced weapons" and had two knives of their own.

"They attacked me," he told investigators in an interrogation room. "I was in self-defense mode."

Miu’s wife told police her husband left their group twice to go looking for the missing phone. The affidavit notes that cell phone video from one witness showed a shirtless Miu holding goggles with a snorkel attached grab onto someone’s tube before someone shouts at him to get away.

He then stands up in the water while "appearing to be looking for something" and tries to walk away before more people begin to gather around him. Multiple people were yelling at him and at least one person touched his shoulder, but the affidavit says, "the video and elapsed time shows opportunity for Nicolae to leave the confrontation." Miu falls into the water and is shoved back into the water several times before he is seen using a blade in his right hand to stab people who he believed were on top of him

Miu claimed that during the attack someone had tried to pull down his swim trunks and "people were coming at him, punching him, hitting him, and circling around him." He told investigators the people who attacked him were "too drunk" and "too set on going after people," the affidavit says.

Interviewed by investigators afterward, one of the people involved in the confrontation described Miu's behavior as "disgusting" and said he was "looking really weird and sketchily," according to the affidavit. Miu said that after the group accused him of being a child molester and began insulting him, he chastised the young people for drinking alcohol.

After fleeing the scene of the attack, Miu was apprehended about an hour and a half later at a different section of the river by an exit ramp for tubers.

When investigators told him one teen had died and four others were rushed to hospitals after the stabbing incident, the affidavit notes Miu said he was sorry, put his head in his hands and said, "Oh my God." He remarked that his whole life was now "down the tubes."

Miu, an electrical engineer who said he had no past trouble with the law, was formally charged on Monday with one count of first-degree intentional homicide and four additional counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide. During his first court appearance Monday afternoon, a judge set bail at $1 million cash, and his preliminary hearing is set for Aug. 12.

Ooof. That scenario sounds like it was taken right out of an evo from hell. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The fact that there were 5 people close enough to him in the water to actually get cut and stabbed that badly seems to bolster a disparity of numbers argument, at first blush.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List