Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Knife as a SD weapon - aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

I can't remember my first knife very clearly. My dad would have given it to me, when I was around six or eight years old.

Been thirty and a few years since then. One crybaby. Never had anyone else look sideways.
    To the first sentence: same deal, same age.

To the second: Clearly you need to spend more time around academia. The unbelievable bedwetting upon seeing a slipjoint, bone handled folder. *Nobody* sees the clinch pick; that's why I have the bone handled folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Yeah, my experience with academia has either been as a student, or at parties - my sister is a prof at a big university here. I'm the freakshow they occasionally gawk at.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    To the first sentence: same deal, same age.

To the second: Clearly you need to spend more time around academia. The unbelievable bedwetting upon seeing a slipjoint, bone handled folder. *Nobody* sees the clinch pick; that's why I have the bone handled folder.
    I spent three years working in academia. The people who choose careers there are the intellectual equivalent of an ingrown toenail: a vestige of something that was once useful but now just makes it hard to walk.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Such generalizations are ignorant. I could insult you personally but why bother. This me being polite as to respond to our recent discussion of being more professional.

Edged weapons is a technical forum, IIRC - so you contributed nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Such generalizations are ignorant.
    I don't know, given the efforts of my University Administration to undermine my value as a scientist, researcher, educator, and person lately...maybe he isn't so wrong...

That part I concede. Since this is the Edged Weapons forum and we're discussing Knives as SD tools...I got this in the mail today, Sentinel Gear Senka - Reverse Edge G10- no metal in blade or sheath. Super light, very stabby, a nice NPE tool.

Name:  IMG_1944.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  67.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Such generalizations are ignorant. I could insult you personally but why bother. This me being polite as to respond to our recent discussion of being more professional.

Ouch! But I get where you are coming from - there's a difference between the CULTURE of academia and the FUNCTION of academia.

For example, if you would like to know the maximum amount of information possible about the staging of Shakespearian plays during the Victorian era and the role of Victorian mode and modus in the interpretation of Shakespeare, I have a sibling with whom you should DEFINITELY consult.

Granted, there hasn't been a ton of demand for that specific information. But presumably academia is one environment where even the extremes of research, without obvious immediate tangible benefit, are pursued. And personally I do value that, even though I have no difficulty laughing at some of the personalities involved. For example, a local English Lit Ph.D and poet who was so impressed with his knowledge of poetry that he decided (again at a party I to which I was carelessly invited) also extended to such related fields as guitar amplification.

Turns out there was someone present with a more visceral (and technical as it turns out) knowledge of guitar amplification, and that individual, whoever it was, had some thoughts he chose to share, much to the delight of the relatively newly acquainted girlfriend of the poet.

So I am very much sympathetic to the pure pursuit of knowledge that academia at least purports to represent, but also somewhat sympathetic to the reaction some individual academics generate.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

For example, a local English Lit Ph.D and poet who was so impressed with his knowledge of poetry that he decided (again at a party I to which I was carelessly invited) also extended to such related fields as guitar amplification.

Turns out there was someone present with a more visceral (and technical as it turns out) knowledge of guitar amplification, and that individual, whoever it was, had some thoughts he chose to share, much to the delight of the relatively newly acquainted girlfriend of the poet.
    As an amateur amp builder, this would have been a fun conversation to follow.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Well, without going detail-crazy...turns out that some non-guitarists think that guitarists who like tube amps don't know how important it is that the last piece of gear before the ear is a tube amp, but before that doesn't matter, since only the last link in the chain will truly define the sound. The fact that some guitarists have been unable to replicate the sound they want by using solid state gear is evidence for their ease of manipulation (by...Big Tube, I assume).

Do not waste money on tube pre-amps. They are not important, and overdriving tubes in the early stages to get tube breakup is not worth doing, because that can easily be replicated with solid state gear. What can't be replicated is the final stage of amplification, so always use solid state pre-amps with tube power amps.

This remains true at stadium shows, where the PA system is solid-state. That, however, is different.

No details on the difference were forthcoming.

Also unavailable were references to which solid state pre-amps were effective at replicating tube breakup tones. Or what algorithms might be used to generate a good approximation of the organic tube overdrive so many people like.

IIRC the only references supplied during the argument were videos submitted by one party, detailing the role of tube feedback mid-concert, mid-solo, and the deliberate application of 60 cycle hum in a big, indulgent guitar salute by a shirtless, obnoxious showoff.

Vaguely recollect the recently acquired girlfriend was more interested in the videos than the poet; can't recall the exact outcome.

Why does the word "allegedly" keep popping into my head?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Well, without going detail-crazy...turns out that some non-guitarists think that guitarists who like tube amps don't know how important it is that the last piece of gear before the ear is a tube amp, but before that doesn't matter, since only the last link in the chain will truly define the sound. The fact that some guitarists have been unable to replicate the sound they want by using solid state gear is evidence for their ease of manipulation (by...Big Tube, I assume).

Do not waste money on tube pre-amps. They are not important, and overdriving tubes in the early stages to get tube breakup is not worth doing, because that can easily be replicated with solid state gear. What can't be replicated is the final stage of amplification, so always use solid state pre-amps with tube power amps.

This remains true at stadium shows, where the PA system is solid-state. That, however, is different.

No details on the difference were forthcoming.

Also unavailable were references to which solid state pre-amps were effective at replicating tube breakup tones. Or what algorithms might be used to generate a good approximation of the organic tube overdrive so many people like.

IIRC the only references supplied during the argument were videos submitted by one party, detailing the role of tube feedback mid-concert, mid-solo, and the deliberate application of 60 cycle hum in a big, indulgent guitar salute by a shirtless, obnoxious showoff.

Vaguely recollect the recently acquired girlfriend was more interested in the videos than the poet; can't recall the exact outcome.
    It's pretty rare that I wish I was at a party, but I coulda got drunk and disagreed with all that...

Oh yeah, I used to work on vacuum tube amps as a side business...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List