Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife as a SD weapon - aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post

The treatment/attitude I received was along the lines of the "overly-prepared to go to the movies" trope I've read elsewhere. By p-f standards, I was prepared to get kilt on the streets. The officers were particularly curious about the Clinch Pick, and it's been driving some thinking re: converting to a Ka Bar TDI because that's at least something they're probably familiar with (somewhat prevalent with LEOs here).
    If having to explain the "why" when asked about a Clinch Pick, I would say it was designed by an then-active LEO, and trainer of LEOs, who is now honorably retired, and a highly-respected trainer. There is no way I would give up a Clinch Pick, in favor of a derp-ish TDI, but then, that is just my personal feeling. (I stopped carrying my original-type Clinch Pick when the sheath cracked*, and actually carry no fixed-blades regularly at this point in time, though I am plotting and olanning to start doing so, again.)

*Sitting and squatting placed tension on the kydex (or whatever thermally-molded plastic) sheath material. Finally, it could not take the cumulative stress.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-16-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    There is no way I would give up a Clinch Pick, in favor of a derp-ish TDI, but then, that is just my personal feeling.
    Why do you consider a TDI to be derp-ish?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Why do you consider a TDI to be derp-ish?
    1. It seems to be, well, a solution in search of a problem. Or, perhaps, a gimmick.

2. It seems to have been desgined to be drawn like a pistol, but I draw a pistol in such a way that my trigger finger is indexed along the frame and my middle finger is firmly indexed against the bottom of the trigger guard. Drawing the TDI in this indexed manner will require re-gripping the weapon after the draw, for optimal handling. I strongly disagree with this.

3. I have seen many LEOs wearing their TDI blades perfectly presented as an offer for an opponent to grab. Sure enough, an Austin PD officer was stabbed in the neck, and nearly died, after a criminal accepted the "offer."

4. A TDI requires a bit much real estate on one's belt. (I wore my Clinch Pick vertical, rather than angled, and have generally done the sme with other knives.)

In contrast, the Clinch Pick (and Disciple) are designed to be used in a manner common with one's other pointed objects, such as batons, flashlights, pens, etc. If in an environment where one cannot have a blade, then a stout pen, or other improvised weapon, can be used in the same point-driven manner.

I will concede that I do like a non-linear-shaped blade style that some consider derp-ish, the karambit, but I the karambit as a very useful hook, that just happens to also have a point, and one or two edges. (Plus, many who criticize the karambit think it is only for slashing. Actually, a proper-designed karambit is primarily for thrusting.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    I was in a defensive folder class along with several LEOs, one of whom said, "If I stop you and I see a rifle in the car, ok, we'll get to that. But seeing a knife makes me want to know why you have it and what you plan to do with it."

Doubly odd to say because an unsecured long gun in a vehicle is illegal in this state, while a folder or fixed blade four inches or under is fine to carry.
    That's because Norman Bates didn't dress up as his mother and hose Janet Leigh with gunfire. Now, I'm serious. The use of a knife is close up and personal - plus being bloody. A person carrying a significant knife is advertising that they are ready for that horror show. That suggests a regular person is a touch off. Just my opinion from reading some of the violence literature. Folks prefer violence at some distance and neater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    1. It seems to be, well, a solution in search of a problem. Or, perhaps, a gimmick.

2. It seems to have been desgined to be drawn like a pistol, but I draw a pistol in such a way that my trigger finger is indexed along the frame and my middle finger is firmly indexed against the bottom of the trigger guard. Drawing the TDI in this indexed manner will require re-gripping the weapon after the draw, for optimal handling. I strongly disagree with this.

3. I have seen many LEOs wearing their TDI blades perfectly presented as an offer for an opponent to grab. Sure enough, an Austin PD officer was stabbed in the neck, and nearly died, after a criminal accepted the "offer."

4. A TDI requires a bit much real estate on one's belt. (I wore my Clinch Pick vertical, rather than angled, and have generally done the sme with other knives.)

In contrast, the Clinch Pick (and Disciple) are designed to be used in a manner common with one's other pointed objects, such as batons, flashlights, pens, etc. If in an environment where one cannot have a blade, then a stout pen, or other improvised weapon, can be used in the same point-driven manner.

I will concede that I do like a non-linear-shaped blade style that some consider derp-ish, the karambit, but I the karambit as a very useful hook, that just happens to also have a point, and one or two edges. (Plus, many who criticize the karambit think it is only for slashing. Actually, a proper-designed karambit is primarily for thrusting.)
    Fair enough. Thanks for the input. I have a PHLster sheath that fixes the OEM sheath issue, though the knife does take up more space than I'd like. As a CCW guy I am less concerned about the retention issue than a LEO carrying it on a duty belt may be -- it's really no different than my OWB-carried Clinch Pick at that point.

@Paul Sharp made some good points about the TDI's use here.
    Last edited by ssb; 05-16-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Another "aftermath" issue I would be concerned about is the possibility of infection from all the nasty fluids that would be generated from an entangled knife altercation. It would be really lame to win the stabby part of a knife fight only to get hepatitis or something.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been infected this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Another "aftermath" issue I would be concerned about is the possibility of infection from all the nasty fluids that would be generated from an entangled knife altercation. It would be really lame to win the stabby part of a knife fight only to get hepatitis or something.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been infected this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Couldn't the same be said for an entangled gun fight?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Couldn't the same be said for an entangled gun fight?
    When we had mandatory Hep B vaccines due to the risk of cuts in the course of making an arrest or, for example, the search of a Haitian freighter for concealed dope or weapons, we were told that even saliva in the eye could be enough. Don't know as I haven't kept up with the topic over the years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    A-hole comes at him a 4th time and the customer told him something like "I've stabbed you several times, don't you see you're bleeding? Maybe you should sit down and call 911 for an ambulance."
    Am I the only person who finds this extremely humorous?
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-17-2017 at 11:21 AM.

That actually sounds really familiar. I seem to recall someone training people to do just that - after using a knife, point out to the threat that they are bleeding, that they need medical help, that they need to stop fighting.

No bloody idea who exactly taught that, of course. Just something I read, and forgot the details long ago.

User Tag List