View Poll Results: Anonymous Poll: How Much Ammo Do You Keep On Hand (Not Including .22)

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1,000 Rounds or Less

11 7.19%
  • Between 1,000 and 5,000 Rounds

40 26.14%
  • Between 5,000 and 10,000 Rounds

41 26.80%
  • Between 10,000 and 20,000 Rounds

27 17.65%
  • Over 20,000 Rounds

34 22.22%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo: How much do you stockpile? (Anonymous poll)

Ammo: How much do you stockpile? (Anonymous poll)

Was just curious about how much ammo most of us keep on hand for practice, training, and carry.

Rather than break down pistol vs. shotgun vs. rifle, let's just give a ballpark figure...not including .22 which would probably skew the results.

Thanks for your indulgence. I hadn't seen anything recently and I was wondering what the average P-F member might keep in his or her inventory.

(Your poll selection is not associated with your forum identity.)
    Last edited by blues; 05-14-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I will stockpile reloading components(important stuff being powder and primers). For me it isn't as critical to stockpile bullets as they are always readily available(even during the Obama scare), and if need be I can easily cast what I need from materials such as wheel weights. I have access to more brass than I will ever need. So, generally I will keep enough components on hand to reload approximately 10k rounds of 9mm, or 5k rounds of .223. For defensive ammo, I will usually keep around 1k of 9mm on hand, and 2k of .223 on hand. Again, I can always reload if things get desperate.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Blues: how about you add a category for: Don't Have None: Lost it all when my pirogue turned over in the bayou.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Primers are key for me - especially as a competitor who shoots in volume or and therefore loads in volume. I actually changed the way I set up pistols based on lack of "normal" primers and switch to "harder" primers. Second is powder - I was surprised how short powder was a year plus ago.

Most of my ammo is stuff I reload. I don't keep inventory but I could say that I probably have a lifetime supply of .338WM because I loaded an ammo can full of it in 2015. With 9mm I'm lucky if I can stay two months ahead of what I shoot. In oddball calibers I might have only 20-40 rounds on hand.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

damn! my last outing put me outside the bottom radio button choice. oh well, i'm gonna lie.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Blues: how about you add a category for: Don't Have None: Lost it all when my pirogue turned over in the bayou.
    We ain't buyin' it.

Site Supporter
    With good quality 9mm ammo at $180 ish per thousand now is the time to stock up,

My understanding is most ammo is sold / spoken for on the wholesale market a year in advance. I'm sure many ammo dealers ordered extra last year in anticipation of potential a hildabeast victory. I expect once that overage is corrected price will go up.

Now is the time to buy cheap and stack deep.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    With good quality 9mm ammo at $180 ish per thousand now is the time to stock up,

My understanding is most ammo is sold / spoken for on the wholesale market a year in advance. I'm sure many ammo dealers ordered extra last year in anticipation of potential a hildabeast victory. I expect once that overage is corrected price will go up.

Now is the time to buy cheap and stack deep.
    You hit the nail on the head, H, which is the primary reason I posted the poll.

I was wondering if I was outside of the norm, (among folks like us, not the population at large), in terms of stocking up while prices are low and product is available.

I have found myself in the past couple of weeks ordering a case each of S&B, Lawman and HST to add to what I already had on hand. You never know when the next clusterfuck in Washington is going to lead to a shortage and rising prices and I also wanted to match my training and carry ammo more closely than the ubiquitous and generic 115gr FMJs which I already have enough of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, H, which is the primary reason I posted the poll.

I was wondering if I was outside of the norm, (among folks like us, not the population at large), in terms of stocking up while prices are low and product is available.

I have found myself in the past couple of weeks ordering a case each of S&B, Lawman and HST to add to what I already had on hand. You never know when the next clusterfuck in Washington is going to lead to a shortage and rising prices and I also wanted to match my training and carry ammo more closely than the ubiquitous and generic 115gr FMJs which I already have enough of.
    After Sandy Hook 9mm was running $330 to $380 a case if you could find it. I hope we don't see that again but I can see the $180ish cases of 9mm going back up to $210-220 next year.

User Tag List