View Poll Results: Anonymous Poll: How Much Ammo Do You Keep On Hand (Not Including .22)

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1,000 Rounds or Less

11 7.19%
  • Between 1,000 and 5,000 Rounds

40 26.14%
  • Between 5,000 and 10,000 Rounds

41 26.80%
  • Between 10,000 and 20,000 Rounds

27 17.65%
  • Over 20,000 Rounds

34 22.22%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ammo: How much do you stockpile? (Anonymous poll)

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    That's why you use the basement foundation as your ammo room. . .

Leaving enough room for the fork lift to turn can be tricky though.
    The rule still applies.

Site Supporter
    When asked, I usually tell people, "Enough to make the news." It could be 200 or 200K rounds, depending on the network.

I must admit to stealing the line from somewhere, though.
    Polite Professional

I didn't vote in the survey because I'm on a smartphone. I have about Four years worth (40,000) of 9mm made up and about that much more waiting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    I will stockpile reloading components(important stuff being powder and primers). For me it isn't as critical to stockpile bullets as they are always readily available(even during the Obama scare), and if need be I can easily cast what I need from materials such as wheel weights. I have access to more brass than I will ever need. So, generally I will keep enough components on hand to reload approximately 10k rounds of 9mm, or 5k rounds of .223. For defensive ammo, I will usually keep around 1k of 9mm on hand, and 2k of .223 on hand. Again, I can always reload if things get desperate.
    I was going to type up almost the exact same thing. 95% or more of what I shoot is 9mm, with a small amount of .223. I keep as many small pistol primers as I can afford on hand. The nice thing about loading 9mm is one 8 lb. jug of powder will load 10k plus rounds, and even when powder was scarce, getting 1-2 individual pounds of powder would tide you over long enough to wait for more. Rifle obviously uses a lot more powder, but I don't shoot .223 enough to need a huge stock. I have enough powder for about 5k rifle and 20k pistol, and primers for 10k rifle and about 10k pistol. I have equipment to cast should it come to that, but I have a local guy who makes coated bullets commercially, so getting bullets is fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I was going to type up almost the exact same thing. 95% or more of what I shoot is 9mm, with a small amount of .223. I keep as many small pistol primers as I can afford on hand. The nice thing about loading 9mm is one 8 lb. jug of powder will load 10k plus rounds, and even when powder was scarce, getting 1-2 individual pounds of powder would tide you over long enough to wait for more. Rifle obviously uses a lot more powder, but I don't shoot .223 enough to need a huge stock. I have enough powder for about 5k rifle and 20k pistol, and primers for 10k rifle and about 10k pistol. I have equipment to cast should it come to that, but I have a local guy who makes coated bullets commercially, so getting bullets is fairly easy.
    Yep, the freedom and security that reloading gives you is comforting. Heck I even have some recipes for reusing primers and scavenging components for making black powder if things REALLY got bad. Loading up some .38 Special with black powder is actually pretty fun. Occasionally I will take some 158gr black powder .38spl loads to the range smoke everybody out.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    Yep, the freedom and security that reloading gives you is comforting. Heck I even have some recipes for reusing primers and scavenging components for making black powder if things REALLY got bad. Loading up some .38 Special with black powder is actually pretty fun. Occasionally I will take some 158gr black powder .38spl loads to the range smoke everybody out.
    I haven't gotten into actually trying out the re-using primers and trying black powder, but I have certainly read up and watched some media about it. But I think for most people, the idea of storing a quantity of ammo is more to allow you to still practice and train at the same rate should ammunition go through a high supply period again. Granted I still have my much smaller stock of carry ammo and bonded soft point 5.56 ammo, but I digress.

I agree that reloading has totally changed my mindset when shooting. I used to be the person who bought ammo a box or two at a time, and always had that cost in the back of my mind when shooting. It also really limited my ability to go to the range and just shoot until I was finished practicing. Now I take a 30 cal can full of 9mm to the range, and I shoot until I am finished.

I was absolutely convinced the Hildabeast was going to win last Fall and I was taking NO chances on anything. I doubled or tripled on all my handguns and longuns and bought nearly enough ammo to require a forklift to get it in my ammo storage area in my basement. I keep it in a climate controlled area, that is locked and sealed and have shelves of the stuff. I spent a year buying it cheap and stacking it deep.

I replenish what I shoot as soon as I shoot it.

"Be prepared."
    Last edited by ShooterM9; 05-30-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Got about 20,000 rounds of 7N6 on hand, 15,000 rounds of 7.62x39, 5,000 rounds of .223/5.56, couple thousand rounds of 9mm, few thousand .22, about 2,000 .45. Working on building up my 5.56 stock and my 9mm stock. I'd like to have 10,000-12,000 rounds of 9mm on hand at all times, which is about how much 9mm I shoot a year.

I've got a boatload of AK ammo because it's sealed in spam cans and it's cheap; I was also on a big AK kick 2-3 years ago so I really stocked up. I'm working on shooting up some of my 7N6 supply.
    Shoot more, post less...

I've been stocking up since W Bush was up for re election and he was being mum about whether he'd reinstate the AWB or not. I have a little pile.

I'd like to have between 10-20k, but not really feasible when you're in Hawaii for a few years. I plan on adding a significant amount once I get back to the mainland.

User Tag List