Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pat MacNamara on using as much trigger finger as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    As a new shooter, I was enamored of this for a while...then I was not.

I think "as a rule" it fails for all cases, in particular, for those of us with shorter stubbier hands or shorter reach. I've tried the various finger positions in dry practice (backed up by live fire) and what works for me (least sight movement, smallest groups) is the pad.

I respect Mr. MacNamara's advice, a lot. "But", in this case, I am not so sure it extends to everyone, and maybe one should try it to see if it works. If it does, great, but it may not.
    It is going to depend on the shooper's hand size and the gun itself. The M&P45 that I was shooting was equipped with the smallest backstrap. If it had the largest backstrap I might not have been able to get as much finger around the trigger.

Site Supporter
    I like short 1911 triggers so I can get about the first knuckle on the trigger. I just have always shot that way though...I think finger placement itself is irrelevant as long as it is not affecting your ability to press the trigger without disturbing the sights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'd look at what the top GM level shooters do.

This technique does not work for me unless I'm shooting a mouse gun.
    Without rustling any feathers...I'll just say that being able to shoot a gun, especially a pistol in the real world has to encompass real world factors like rain, dirt, blood, debris, etc.

What's the possibility you'll have to shoot your pistol after fighting over it on the ground in the dirt during a storm?

What's the possibility a GM would have to do that during a stage?

Also, shooting a pistol (or rifle) with gloves has shown me that this method is far superior than trying to find perfect placement
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I've got big hands, long fingers, and completely tore a ligament (didn't have it repaired) in my trigger finger. These combine to make the "pad on trigger" not work for me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've tried this but my trigger finger rubs against my support hand if I go all the way to the knuckle. I suppose it's not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

The only benifit *I've* had with more trigger finger was I could be lazy with a revolver trigger. I still use the tip/pad on a revolver I just can't be lazy on the press.

I've also tried this technique with a wet and muddy gun, so muddy that it wouldn't run right. I also use this technique in gaming (dry and pouring down rain). Lord forbid I ever have too, I will use this same technique if I must.

Like everyone has stated there is no right or wrong answer, it's all personal.
    i used to wannabe

Pat MacNamara on using as much trigger finger as possible

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Without rustling any feathers...I'll just say that being able to shoot a gun, especially a pistol in the real world has to encompass real world factors like rain, dirt, blood, debris, etc.

What's the possibility you'll have to shoot your pistol after fighting over it on the ground in the dirt during a storm?

What's the possibility a GM would have to do that during a stage?

Also, shooting a pistol (or rifle) with gloves has shown me that this method is far superior than trying to find perfect placement
    Great points! Some of us do compete under challenging conditions though.

In competition I have:
    -Shot while knee deep in mud and the gun had to be hosed off after the match.

-Shot in snowstorms in gloves with frozen hands

-Shot with a seriously injured hand, with gun covered in blood. Sprayed the RO with blood :-).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-15-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I had the pleasure of working last week with three great local PD officers who are being gained into my agency as Reserve Investigators. Two of the three come from GLOCK agencies with NY2 triggers. They both shoot with as much finger into the trigger guard as possible, and both were pushing shots WILDLY to their weak side using that technique on our issued DAK-equipped P229s. Got them to switch to shooting with the center of the tip of their finger, and the "push" went away. Also helped when they realized the trigger pull weight was darned near half what they were used to on their issued GLOCKs, and got them to not mash the dog $h1+ out of the triggers...

I, on the other hand, shot my first couple of drills using the tip of my finger with my G19, and pushed shots way off to the left at speed. So, for ME, getting the first joint of my finger centered on the Glock trigger works to keep things nicely centered. But, it is a platform specific technique for me, which reinforces why I shouldn't f*** around with pistols other than what I carry for serious business...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Great points! Some of us do compete under challenging conditions though.

In competition I have:
    -Shot while knee deep in mud and the gun had to be hosed off after the match.

-Shot in snowstorms in gloves with frozen hands

-Shot with a seriously injured hand, with gun covered in blood. Sprayed the RO with blood :-).
    We can agree that these experiences are not typical of gaming and shouldn't be looked at as normal in that field.

Fact is that the likelihood of using a pistol with a weird environmental modifier is worth training once in a while. Knowing how you and the gun react to these modifiers is extremely important.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List