Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pat MacNamara on using as much trigger finger as possible

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    We can agree that these experiences are not typical of gaming and shouldn't be looked at as normal in that field.

Fact is that the likelihood of using a pistol with a weird environmental modifier is worth training once in a while. Knowing how you and the gun react to these modifiers is extremely important.

And using them in that context in LE is the norm?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    And using them in that context in LE is the norm?
    I don't understand what you are asking.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

You said gamers don't shoot with dirty or wet guns etc.. and then cluster said they do indeed, you responded by saying that's not typical. I am asking if that is typical in the LE world.
    i used to wannabe

I don't understand what you are asking.
    I think what he's saying is that sort of thing isn't typical of LE training either, but I agree that it needs to be trained regardless.

I think what gamer's practice in goofy table starts LE tends to practice in oddball malfunction clearance regardless. Everyone is practicing weird shit, and that's not a bad thing.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I think what he's saying is that sort of thing isn't typical of LE training either, but I agree that it needs to be trained regardless.

I think what gamer's practice in goofy table starts LE tends to practice in oddball malfunction clearance regardless. Everyone is practicing weird shit, and that's not a bad thing.

I think that's what he's saying too.

Let's move on.

We can agree that these experiences are not typical of gaming and shouldn't be looked at as normal in that field.
    Typical may not be the word, but not unusual is. Around here I've shot in conditions when people had to put crampons on their shoes to stay put on ice (I use Salomons with integral steel spikes), in a snowfall (both games and training), in a freezing rain when working a mag release was next to impossible, in a freaking St. George mud etc. People shoot injured too; there is a video of GJM finishing an Area match on one leg around here. Not to say it is Hunger Games but it is not a sanitized activity either.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-15-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Didn't we previously beat this video to death in a 12 page thread?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Finger-Really
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I had the pleasure of working last week with three great local PD officers who are being gained into my agency as Reserve Investigators. Two of the three come from GLOCK agencies with NY2 triggers. They both shoot with as much finger into the trigger guard as possible, and both were pushing shots WILDLY to their weak side using that technique on our issued DAK-equipped P229s. Got them to switch to shooting with the center of the tip of their finger, and the "push" went away. Also helped when they realized the trigger pull weight was darned near half what they were used to on their issued GLOCKs, and got them to not mash the dog $h1+ out of the triggers...

I, on the other hand, shot my first couple of drills using the tip of my finger with my G19, and pushed shots way off to the left at speed. So, for ME, getting the first joint of my finger centered on the Glock trigger works to keep things nicely centered. But, it is a platform specific technique for me, which reinforces why I shouldn't f*** around with pistols other than what I carry for serious business...
    More finger works very well for me in three circumstances: 1) Glocks, 2) revolvers and 3) ARs with GI grips and GI triggers, particularly burst triggers which almost suck all the joy out of shooting AR's. Since my work guns are a G17, a an M&P 340 and an 11.5" AR with a burst trigger that pretty much means I shoot with more finger the majority of the time.

Note the discussion of "natural trigger finger placement" aka natural lay of the trigger at about the 2:10 mark.

Last edited by HCM; 05-15-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

Ooops, I missed that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

Sure we did, but that is what we do on PF. When it gets down to it, there are essentially just a few things we discuss here:

Triggers. How long they should be and how we press them.

Sights. Tritium or fiber optic, how sharp they are, how visible they are and which are better.

The Gadget, as in when will it be available.

The VP9, as in how it is too big.

Competition, and is it good or bad.

Now that the Gadget is available and there is a VP9SK, that just leaves triggers, sights and competition. Almost everything we discuss falls into those categories.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List