Thread: 1973 Detective Special

1973 Detective Special

I posted this recent find on another thread, but after a nice day at the range with this gun, I thought I would start a separate thread.

As an old time detective about when this gun was new (1973), I think I would still feel mighty comfortable with it along with some modern ammo like this photo shows.

I did notice that it shoots a little low and to the left at close range (about 10 feet). However, funny thing is that at about 15 yards, I was hitting all the little scraps of wood, etc., at the range today. Must be the sights were regulated for about 15 yards or so. I did notice that the 110 grn stuff is about 3" low at 10 feet.

The gun cleans up real nice after the range session.

Just an old detective,

Trooper Joe

Site Supporter
    Nice find.

My first concealed carry gun was a Detective Special bought new in 1995. I liked everything about it except the front sight. I was able to consistently hit bowling pins at 10-15 yards, but at 25 it shoots really high. This assumes, of course, being able to see the sight at all, since it would often reflect light and disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Classic gun. I'm ten years behind you. My first was a S&W Model 36 Chief's Special which I bought in 1983 at Jovino's in NYC to back up my issued Model 15.
    Last edited by blues; 05-13-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Sweet gun!!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Oooh, nice! I like the DS.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Vending Machine Operator
    Beautiful, I've got a '68 I'm quite fond of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I've always thought the Colt snubbies had better lines than the Smiths. The only larger framed Colts that have any panache are the Python/Diamondbacks. The Troopers and such never really did anything for me. The lines are too abrupt with the unshrouded ejector rods, etc. The inner workings of a Smith scare me a bit (kinda like HK) but the Colts make me want to crawl under the bed and hide under a blanket. From what I gather, they are much more old-school and mechanically complicated to mess with.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The inner workings of a Smith scare me a bit (kinda like HK) but the Colts make me want to crawl under the bed and hide under a blanket. From what I gather, they are much more old-school and mechanically complicated to mess with.
    Someone once said that "The Devil lives under the sideplate of a Colt revolver."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Same production year as yours...........
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List