Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Steel Tomahawks

I'm a little late to this party but I have a small bit of experience so I'll weight in for those interested.

The CS hawks are not bad for the money if you don't mind working on them. They usually have pretty shitty head to haft fit that they try to get around with a set screw. Ditch the screw and take the time to fit the handle to the head and the eye will need a bit of work too. Youtube has plenty of good vids on this.

The CRKT hawks are a little nicer but they could still use some fitting.

Condor has a couple models now. The one I got had a thick edge which is typical of Condor in general but it sharpened well enough without reprofiling. The head was pressed on and secured with a set screw but was tight enough that I don't plan to take it apart and fit it right away. Also came with a nice mask and leather belt loop for carrying.

I also have an H&B forge Shawnee, my favorite yet. These are forged by a blacksmith rather cast or however the other mass-produced ones are made. Doesn't necessarily make it better quality but it looks cooler. Mine still required dressing of the eye and fitting the handle but you can only expect so much for the price.

In summary, pretty much all of the "entry level" hawks are good if you want to tinker with them a bit. (And who doesn't? customizing and putting in the work is part of the fun) for one that's good to go straight away expect to pay $125-250 but you'll also get higher quality materials.

The crkt kangee is the best designed cheap hawk on the market right now.

Unless you want to spring for an RnD hawk...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I prefer a smaller Hawk for offensive work. I know most people don't usually weight it's offensive capabilities when choosing a hawk, but the Winkler hawks are great for those times when you're already carrying 60 lbs of gear, but still need a tool to split things open.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Some states have antiquated laws and list tomahawks as prohibited weapons along with clubs etc. If you travel with a "hatchet", you might check laws. You might find yourself in a situation where you can legally carry your handgun but not have the tomahawk in your vehicle. You never know. It's a weird world sometimes.

I have the CS, SOG, CRKT and Estwing hawks, that I use primarily as a camp tool or extrication device for MVA's, and I like the Estwing the best. They're just stupid tough and durable. Like enough to be easily hefted, but has enough weight to transfer energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List