Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Tomahawks

Cold Steel Tomahawks

Due to a recent fascination with non firearm historic edged type weapons, I bought a couple Cold Steele Tomahawks. For $20.00 each, why not. They are both diamonds in the rough, and came with "white" hickory handles and both heads (manufactured by American Tomahawk Company) had set screws and were loose out of the box. Tightening the screws really didn't keep the heads tight, so I cut a strip of chamois (sheep hide), glued it around the top of the handle with wood glue, and tapped the head back down around the chamois insert and the handle. Good to go now. Some people don't use the set screw and remove it. One of the set screws was 'frozen' in the head out of the box, so I drilled it out with a masonry bit and replaced it with a brass wood screw. Some people stain and refinish the handle, but I find it starts to darken and take on a patina on it's own from handling and use.

The first one I got was the Trail Tomahawk:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...hickory-handle

My favorite so far, super light and able to handle small chores like splitting 2x4 scrap into kindling. Probably better as a weapon than a tool.

The second one is the Pipe Tomahawk:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...y-handle-brown

Definitely heavier, and a better 'tool' than the Trail version. Note that head and shaft are not hollowed out for use as an actual pipe.

I picked up a SOG Tactical Tomahawk when LAPG had them on their sale page and I needed to add something to get the shipping deal. I keep it with the E-tool and other stuff I have but will probably never use in front of the Suburban's third row seat.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 05-13-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I've been eyeballing the CRKT Chogan but modifying it by cutting off the majority of the hammer as you can see in the picture below. It looks like everything a tomahawk should be in a $45 bundle with a bit of work.

Full video here.

Last edited by SunTzu; 05-13-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Sometime, after watching The Patriot again, check out H&B Forge polled axes:

http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/large-camp-axe

I have one and bought them as gifts for a few brothers. Had a Kydex sheath made for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
    I've been eyeballing the CRKT Chogan but modifying it by cutting off the majority of the hammer as you can see in the picture below. It looks like everything a tomahawk should be in a $45 bundle with a bit of work.

Full video here.

They make a version without the hammer now... it's called the Nobo
    Last edited by wsr; 05-13-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    They make a version without the hammer now... it's called the Nobo
    Yes, but I don't want one without a hammer at all. I like the small flat face that is left on the modified Chogan.

I have several tomahawks, my favorite is probably the Cold Steel Rifleman's 'hawk, which has a full hammer poll. I've used it as a home improvement tool...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I have a few tomahawks I purchased from a local blackpowder shop. I also have a small firemans ax from harbor freight because it was cheap and it looks cool. I have two estwing camping axes. Good quality. My next small ax will be CRKT birler

I have a hand forged tomahawk made by Craig Barr at Deer Mountain Forge. He has an Etsy shop through with you can get one. Price is around $195

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a half-dozen or so CS tomahawks - various models. All are decent for playing around, they'll do light work as designed, and generally they throw pretty well. The handles are soft, and the heads come loose almost immediately, requiring various levels of "fix" to make them serviceable, but, for $20, they're darn near disposable.

User Tag List