Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musings on a Friday Afternoon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Actually, the O ring was an interim fix until a proper extractor spring could be developed. The Colt extractor spring was designed to be used without the O ring. Using the O ring with the Colt extractor will result in too much tension on the extractor. Also, if the O ring comes apart under hard usage, the pieces will jam the extractor spring and there will be malfunctions. We saw the O ring do just that during the barrel "melt down" test Mr. Gunsandgear recently performed.

All my AR bolts have the Colt extractor spring with black insert, as Colt designed to be, But no O ring. That's how my 6920 and 6933 came from the factory
    For a 14.5" or 16" gun you can get away with the insert only if you are running the stronger "SOCOM" spring which Colt has now adopted as standard. Remember, the original GI extractor spring was specified for guns using rifle length gas systems.

For shorter guns, 10.3-11.5" the O ring is good insurance. Shorter guns have shorter bolt life overall and require require shorter PM cycles.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-14-2017 at 01:17 PM.

So far, the Colt extractor spring with black insert is doing yeoman duty in the shorty. Ejection is consistent and reliable. As the shot count mounts, we'll see how it does without the O ring

LUCAS OIL
    Turns out Lucas Gun Oil has petroleum distillates in it. So far, I've noticed none of the side affects I have when I get motor oil or hydraulic fluid on my skin. But, that doesn't mean I won't be looking at other alternatives. A friend uses Fire Clean and is happy with it. When I get a chance, I'll order a bottle of that and give it a try

Here's a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Lucas Gun Oil. It's in pdf form
    https://lucasoil.com/pdf/SDS_Gun-Oil.pdf
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Last edited by blues; 05-14-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    So far, the Colt extractor spring with black insert is doing yeoman duty in the shorty. Ejection is consistent and reliable. As the shot count mounts, we'll see how it does without the O ring

LUCAS OIL
    Turns out Lucas Gun Oil has petroleum distillates in it. So far, I've noticed none of the side affects I have when I get motor oil or hydraulic fluid on my skin. But, that doesn't mean I won't be looking at other alternatives. A friend uses Fire Clean and is happy with it. When I get a chance, I'll order a bottle of that and give it a try

Here's a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Lucas Gun Oil. It's in pdf form
    https://lucasoil.com/pdf/SDS_Gun-Oil.pdf
    When I was TDY with a multi agency Academy and Range were using Gunzilla (vegetable oil based) on the lead free / non toxic ranges with good results.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that as well
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that as well
    Gunzla vs CLP

http://www.survival-solutions.com/Gu...DS_Detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So does Gunzilla also serve as a protectant?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So does Gunzilla also serve as a protectant?

It was the sole CLP on trainees weapons and the pool training guns. It worked as well as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It was the sole CLP on trainees weapons and the pool training guns. It worked as well as anything else.
    Dammit, and here I just bought a 4oz bottle of Breakfree CLP because I didn't have a protectant and now I find out there's something better...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Dammit, and here I just bought a 4oz bottle of Breakfree CLP because I didn't have a protectant and now I find out there's something better...

I don't know about "better" but Gunzilla is non toxic and it seemed to work. My former address was very serious about OSHA and environmental issues regarding the range.

User Tag List