Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 9mm JSP - what's its purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    I can tell you that the 9mm 135 grain plus p Critical Defense has been super accurate out of our M&P's @ 25 yards.
    This is unsurprising. I once chronoed a 10-round string of the standard pressure Critical Duty out of curiosity, and the SD was 8. It's VERY consistent ammo, and I have to imagine that the +P stuff is similar in that regard.

Probably 25 years ago I killed a doe with a 9mm loaded with the long discontinued Speer 125gr JSP. I shot her in the neck from a distance of about 20 yards. She was dead on the spot.

Lucky shot or effective bullet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Sounds to me like good shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yes.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've wanted to do some milk jug testing with the Fiocchi "Black Mamba" load, but it doesn't seem to be available in the states. I'm not really clear if it is a softpoint, or something more.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I've wanted to do some milk jug testing with the Fiocchi "Black Mamba" load, but it doesn't seem to be available in the states. I'm not really clear if it is a softpoint, or something more.
    Well, that brings back some memories of the bad old days.

IIRC Black Mama is an expanding full metal jacket, for jurisdictions that allow guns but dont' allow hollowpoints. It has a little dimple on the front that is supposed to make it expand, and also IIRC it's a light bullet loaded hot. It has some kind of funky coating on the jacket.

They probably don't sell it here because they were paying attention during that hole "Black Talon" thing.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Once I bought a case of Radway Green 9mm soft point ammo. It was written that this ammo was made to fire in British submachine guns and expand. The stuff was +P but not over pressure. My batch was accurate. Radway Green was or maybe still is a British ammo manufacturer. My opinion is that softpoint handgun ammo is not likely to expand unless fired at magnum velocities. And if a 95 grain 9mm soft point bullet did expand when hitting a person, I think that it might not have sufficient momentum to penetrate the desired distance. I have some 40 year old .38 Special soft point made by Smith and Wesson. The box specifies 2 inch barrel. Smith used to claim that it would expand even at 100 yards. I say bullshit, If Doc will test it, I will donate the 95 rounds that I have.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, I'm in Indonesia right now where "This is my highway" and the fiefdom nature of NJ is a pretty sparkling vision of the future comparatively. The cops here have to pay money to become cops, have little to no training, and have to pay "coffee money" to their boss to stay on the job. As you can imagine, extortion is the norm.

So I guess it's relative.
    TGS, I thank you for what you do. I'm sitting on my ass in Waco, Tx, and you are risking yours. Be vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    TGS, I thank you for what you do. I'm sitting on my ass in Waco, Tx, and you are risking yours. Be vigilant.
    Thanks buddy.

To be honest, the last two weeks I was in Brussels, and before that Paris. The most dangerous thing I had to deal with was making sure the Customs beagle didn't eat all of my Belgian chocolate on reentry to the US.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    As far as I know it is a truncated cone lead bullet with a nominal, thin jacket and a dimple on the front of the bullet to encourage deformation. It is designed this way specifically to be a legal carry round where a fully jacketed bullet is demanded, but still be more effective than a typical FMJ.

I would think it isn't available in the US because when you have access to proper hollow points, why bother with something like that?

I would like to see some proper testing of this round as well. There are people who rely on these things as their carry load, and as far as I know the only sort of testing available to them is shooting jugs of water and such.

User Tag List