Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm JSP - what's its purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by donmacc View Post
    Blues - my posting of the laws and reference to the "knot" was in regard to the comments about federal LEO's not being able to carry HP ammo off duty in NJ.

Retirees are another matter. Retirees dont have the deep pockets, regulations, or authority of their former employers. You are on your own and personally liable for your actions. Conversely you are free from your former employer's policies and restrictions and can do what you want. I completely agree with your desire to carry the best defensive ammo. As with all things in life, think things through, make your decision, and move forward knowing the potential consequences and solutions.
    Yep. Agree. And that's why I opted for that FEDS PLI policy last year. Hopefully won't ever need it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Again, I respect and support your decision to carry hollow point ammo. To me having the ability as a retiree to carry a concealed weapon in NJ is more important than whether i can load it with hollow point ammo given the availability of viable expanding alternatives. As they say, its the indian, not the arrow. Hollow points dont always expand in actual shootings, especially from short barreled pistols and revolvers. A couple of COM hits should alter the trajectory of any encounter regardless of the ammo.

All retirees and CHL holders should have some type of carry insurance. There are plenty of plans available and the prices are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by donmacc View Post
    Blues - my posting of the laws and reference to the "knot" was in regard to the comments about federal LEO's not being able to carry HP ammo off duty
    Respectfully, the concern isn't out of thin air.

You've got a fairly senior agent in this thread who has been told by multiple NJ State Troopers that they can't.

I personally know someone from my office who was running lights on the highway enroute to assist with an arrest where the agent was alone. A Trooper pulled him over and threatened to arrest him, saying he's not a cop in NJ therefore we can't act as LEOs. He gave him "professional courtesy" and an ass chewing instead of wrongfully arresting him.

I was in a class with two Troopers who I was giving a ride to....we were at a range and could only use government vehicles, they were in their personal cars so I said hop in. They (both from different barracks) both told me that they'd do the same thing as that Trooper had, and the one sort of scratched his head when I said we can carry off duty.

I think Blues personally had an identical experience.

Another person at my office was threatened to be arrested by a Mass statie when assigned to our office there. Why? Because this is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and you're not a Commonwealth of Mass police officer, so you have no LE powers here.

Fact: There's some serious fucking confusion about police powers and where they derive from, and where and how they extend. We both know what our legal authorities are, but that doesn't mean some jerkoff could push the envelope and arrest one of Psalms guys, as they said they would. ditto if a fed is carrying an authorized mag over 15 rounds off duty....active NJ cops ain't allowed to by law, so I imagine the root confusion would lead to the same misuderstanding that we also are subject to same.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's not like NJ isn't in the United States. There's absolutely no fucking excuse whatsoever for this feigned and deliberate ignorance. Period.

The more we discuss it the angrier it makes me. I've been listening to and hearing horror stories since the 80's. When is it going to be long enough for someone in NJ to pull their heads out of their asses and smell the coffee? Are they going to arrest an LEO who comes to their assistance and pulls their bacon out of the fire?

Closing bridges apparently isn't a problem. Respecting the legal authority of brother (and sister) LEOs is. It's unconscionable is what it is and it disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's not like NJ isn't in the United States. There's absolutely no fucking excuse whatsoever for this feigned and deliberate ignorance. Period.

The more we discuss it the angrier it makes me. I've been listening to and hearing horror stories since the 80's. When is it going to be long enough for someone in NJ to pull their heads out of their asses and smell the coffee? Are they going to arrest an LEO who comes to their assistance and pulls their bacon out of the fire?

Closing bridges apparently isn't a problem. Respecting the legal authority of brother (and sister) LEOs is. It's unconscionable is what it is and it disgusts me.
    If you really want to poke the bear, just say the words "Bergen County Police" to a Trooper and stand the fuck by.

great way to break the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you really want to poke the bear, just say the words "Bergen County Police" to a Trooper and stand the fuck by.

great way to break the ice.
    Seriously, man, I don't know how anybody can live there.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Seriously, man, I don't know how anybody can live there.
    Well, I'm in Indonesia right now where "This is my highway" and the fiefdom nature of NJ is a pretty sparkling vision of the future comparatively. The cops here have to pay money to become cops, have little to no training, and have to pay "coffee money" to their boss to stay on the job. As you can imagine, extortion is the norm.

So I guess it's relative.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, I'm in Indonesia right now where "This is my highway" and the fiefdom nature of NJ is a pretty sparkling vision of the future comparatively. The cops here have to pay money to become cops, have little to no training, and have to pay "coffee money" to their boss to stay on the job. As you can imagine, extortion is the norm.

So I guess it's relative.
    Well, that makes me feel a lot better.

On a more serious note...be careful out there and stay safe.

To the OP: my apology for hijacking this thread even further than it was before.

Trying to return to discussing ammunition, and not New Jersey laws...

I recently discovered Sellier & Bellot makes 9mm soft points too. These ones have a more common bullet weight of 124 grains, and the bullet construction appears to be more of a SJSP, with exposed lead core beyond the metal jacket:

Name:  sjsp.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  56.8 KB

I don't know if I'm just weird, but I think if someone with access to the stuff were to do a gelatin test on these it would be really neat to see. Just because.

User Tag List