Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm JSP - what's its purpose?

9mm JSP - what's its purpose?

Okay, so apologies in advance for the stupid question... I realize that for anyone living in the U.S. this must feel pretty pointless.

The vast majority of 9mm ammunition sold over here is ball ammunition. I have however noticed a few places are now selling Magtech's 95gr JSP. Which got me wondering. AFAIK, a handgun JSP bullet doesn't really expand - so does this product really have any real purpose? how would it perform, compared to somewhat cheaper plain old FMJ?

I suppose there is a possibility it could deform a bit. Especially if it hit bone. Making it marginally less worse than ball.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The Illinois staties used a Federal 95gr JSP round in their Model 39's 'way back in the dark ages when their governor wouldn't approve holler points.

I guess someone down in Brazil still likes them?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A JSP would have a jacketed base, which would I guess lead less.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The U.S. is not entirely the home of the free...New Jersey has some convoluted rules about hollow points. I don't live there, and I haven't visited in years, so I'd leave it for someone with actual experience to explain the ban that isn't a ban.

If JHP is an option in 9mm, I can't imagine a scenario where someone would pick JSP. If JHP isn't an option, I suppose that's where you are forced to look at alternatives. In that case, I think I'd be looking at Fiocchi's EMB.

Site Supporter
    In an old Speer reloading manual, I read about the 95gr JSP as being a choice for when the reloader wanted an expanding bullet, but the gun wouldn't reliably feed JHP of the day, or for hunts small game. The test guns, IIRC, were an original P35 and a S&W mod 39.

I'm under the impression that pistol caliber JSPs don't really expand, they just deform a bit. I guess I'd be inclined to believe what people are saying that it was an ineffective solution back in the old days before terminal ballistics was studied critically.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    The U.S. is not entirely the home of the free...New Jersey has some convoluted rules about hollow points. I don't live there, and I haven't visited in years, so I'd leave it for someone with actual experience to explain the ban that isn't a ban.
    Anyone who isn't active LE cannot carry a gun outside the home with JHPs. The NJSP/NJ AG do not consider polymer tipped rounds like the Hornady CD, Federal Guard Dog or Gold Dot G2 to be JHPs, and I know of at least 1 private security company that has switched their armed guards over to them.

This "ban" does not apply to buying, owning, shooting, transporting or hunting with JHPs.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-13-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm under the impression that pistol caliber JSPs don't really expand, they just deform a bit. I guess I'd be inclined to believe what people are saying that it was an ineffective solution back in the old days before terminal ballistics was studied critically.

Anyone who isn't active LE cannot carry a gun outside the home with JHPs. The NJSP/NJ AG do not consider polymer tipped rounds like the Hornady CD, Federal Guard Dog or Gold Dot G2 to be JHPs, and I know of at least 1 private security company that has switched their armed guards over to them.

This "ban" does not apply to buying, owning, shooting, transporting or hunting with JHPs.
    Wonderful. I guess I'll have to remove my HSTs and load CD in my G26 while visiting family in NJ for a day or two this summer. What nonsense.

Or, I guess I could test my FEDS policy:

The FEDS LEOSA/CCW Personal Liability Insurance policy pays for legal defense and indemnification for civil suits resulting from a lawful act under LEOSA. The policy also provides criminal defense costs resulting from a criminal action involving a self-defense related incident and criminal defense against state charges of unlawful carriage of a firearm or federally legal ammunition when lawfully carrying under LEOSA or CCW.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Anyone who isn't active LE or politically connected cannot carry a gun outside the home.
    FIFY
    Last edited by LorenzoS; 05-13-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    This thread and the sighting of an LAPD shooting legend last week in Kali meshed up nicely. The first duty load that LAPD mandated for their 9mm Berettas and S&Ws back in the late 1980s was the Federal 95 grain JSP, a truncated cone, exposed lead softpoint. John Pride was big in LAPD training back then and was one of the guys who led the transition efforts and training back then. He was so kind to talk to me at SHOT back then and shared the actual lesson plan that LAPD was using. I saw him last week at the All State Police Equipment Show in Pomona. He's balder and older, but was still the same great guy to talk to. He recalled that the terminal performance of this load was a bit bizarre. The load chronoed at about 1315 fps from the Beretta 92 FS and it almost always separated core and jacket in actual shootings, with the jacket remaining behind with some mushrooming, while the core went all the way through the shootee. It wasn't great performance, but was quite a bit better than the NYPD FMJ debacle. It's good to go back and see where we've come from and how good we really have it today on service ammo, particularly 9mm duty and service ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List