Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FAST with a revo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    That's pretty smooth.

Here's my reload. I am mostly a competition shooter with revolver. I use an open front vest that is stiff. When I reach for my speedloader, I just slip my hand in like I am doing in the video. I keep my speedloaders on my strong side because that is where my revolver is after I dump the rounds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvCGcD-FAg
    Your video was quite an inspiration to me back when I shot SSR in IDPA pretty regularly. Thanks for posting it.
    Ordinary guy

That's some awesome round-gun work! Yesterday I was super pumped just to make our "shoot one to the body, one to the head, reload, shoot three to the body strong hand only" drill on the qualification with my 642. Of course, I was reloading from a bunch of loose rounds in my back pocket, and I STILL beat three out of four other shooters running Sigs and Glocks on the same drill...

I guess I should invest in a speedloader or three...

I qual with my 442 twice a year. I always shoot better and have faster reloads than most with their duty semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    That's some awesome round-gun work! Yesterday I was super pumped just to make our "shoot one to the body, one to the head, reload, shoot three to the body strong hand only" drill on the qualification with my 642. Of course, I was reloading from a bunch of loose rounds in my back pocket, and I STILL beat three out of four other shooters running Sigs and Glocks on the same drill...

I guess I should invest in a speedloader or three...
    If you can find them, the jetloaders for the j-frame are absolutely titty-sprinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If you can find them, the jetloaders for the j-frame are absolutely titty-sprinkles.
    I've never used them but they appear to be available. I wonder if they would get past the stock grip on the current 642 / 442.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Like Caleb, when I was shooting wheelies a lot and practicing a lot (before I moved to Chi-Town). I was dry-firing FASTS - in the low 5s (no concealment) and live-firing in the high 5s and low 6s regularly (from concealment). That was running a GP100 with a belt mounted HKS and medium-power .38s. My par on reloads from belt line was 2.5 and moving down (concealed) (dryfire, I got as quick as 2.1). My best ever live fire was 5.55 (that was not cold, and not from concealment), but I never could repeat anything that low again and my average was about 6.3 cold from concealment.

I think it is possible to run sub-5 FASTs with a loader-fed wheelie, but I think it needs to be a big gun (e.g., 627), moderate power load (~800-900fps .38), and probably a Comp III or Jetloader. And it wouldn't hurt if you did it from ICORE-type gear. But then you're basically defeating the purpose of the FAST. My perspective is a 6.5-second revo-based FAST from concealment gear is extremely good, anything below that is getting damn good. (And I'm not just saying that, because I couldn't reliably get below 6 from concealment. I'm saying that, because it took a TON of work to get reliably below 6.5. I spent about 14-months doing nothing but FAST-oriented dryfire/livefire reps.)
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Like Caleb, when I was shooting wheelies a lot and practicing a lot (before I moved to Chi-Town). I was dry-firing FASTS - in the low 5s (no concealment) and live-firing in the high 5s and low 6s regularly (from concealment). That was running a GP100 with a belt mounted HKS and medium-power .38s. My par on reloads from belt line was 2.5 and moving down (concealed) (dryfire, I got as quick as 2.1). My best ever live fire was 5.55 (that was not cold, and not from concealment), but I never could repeat anything that low again and my average was about 6.3 cold from concealment.

I think it is possible to run sub-5 FASTs with a loader-fed wheelie, but I think it needs to be a big gun (e.g., 627), moderate power load (~800-900fps .38), and probably a Comp III or Jetloader. And it wouldn't hurt if you did it from ICORE-type gear. But then you're basically defeating the purpose of the FAST. My perspective is a 6.5-second revo-based FAST from concealment gear is extremely good, anything below that is getting damn good. (And I'm not just saying that, because I couldn't reliably get below 6 from concealment. I'm saying that, because it took a TON of work to get reliably below 6.5. I spent about 14-months doing nothing but FAST-oriented dryfire/livefire reps.)
    I am pretty sure the constant clicking of me dry-firing the FAST drove my second ex-wife mad.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I am pretty sure the constant clicking of me dry-firing the FAST drove my second ex-wife mad.
    The beautiful part of our last place in Austin, was that I had a separate room with cinderblock walls, to dryfire in. Allowed me to click away well into the night without disturbing my wife or the neighbors. I destroyed so many snap caps in that period I had a budget line item for them in my monthly gun budget.

User Tag List