Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAST with a revo

Jim Cirrillo NYPD Stake Out squad style.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Maybe not strictly kosher, but the SAA gets graded on a pretty strong cool points curve, so, yeah.

Just please please video, because that would be sweet.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I gotta get good first.

That could take awhile.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Maybe not strictly kosher, but the SAA gets graded on a pretty strong cool points curve, so, yeah.

Just please please video, because that would be sweet.
    I like them so if that tells you anything....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Back when I was good at shooting (I'm not anymore, I'm just ornery now) I was turning in mid 6.00 and the occasional high 5.00 on FAST with a GP100 and Comp-IIIs from a pouch. A sub-5.00 is absolutely possible, because it's all about the reload. I spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of time working on reloads - here's a very old video that shows how I did reloads using IDPA style concealment.

Due to IDPA rules, I kept my speedloaders in front of my holster on my dominant side, and you can see that I reach slightly across my body when I grab the loader.

Believe it or not, that video was the inspiration for my 3 second reload goal on the revo. I figure if you can get it in 2.5 from IDPA gear, I should be able to do 3 from a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Believe it or not, that video was the inspiration for my 3 second reload goal on the revo. I figure if you can get it in 2.5 from IDPA gear, I should be able to do 3 from a pocket.
    Thanks man! 3 from a pocket is a doable goal I think. My PR from IDPA concealment to an alpha was just a hair over 2.00, I was never able to get under that though.

Site Supporter
    I would consider those times to be impressive for a semiauto. Nicely done! This provides me with some motivation to get more practice reloading a revolver against a timer.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My personal best Revolver Fast: 06/07/14 Mdl-686 1.93 0.57 3.12 0.29 0.26 0.28 6.45

I have shot several sub 7 second revolver FASTs in front of TGS.

I use the old style FBI/Ayoob ish switching hands reload because I couldn't get the other one to work smoothly consistently. I like having a straight shot at the cylinders with the older style reloads where as the single hand reload the speedloader is at an angle to my left arm/hand (right handed shooter) while I am trying to charge the cylinders.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would consider those times to be impressive for a semiauto. Nicely done! This provides me with some motivation to get more practice reloading a revolver against a timer.

Thank you! I spent the balance of three years shooting nothing but revolvers in competition and for self defense; revolvers are the only guns I've ever been able to get myself to consistently dry fire with as well. Probably because they make lots of clicky noises, which makes dry fire more fun. WEEEEE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK WEEEE.

My big problem with the switch hand reload that Jerry uses is that for me, I lose too much time re-establishing my master grip, because I prefer fairly grippy revolver grips. I dicked around with a lot of different ways to effectively reload but eventually settled on keeping the gun in my strong hand and reloading with my weak hand, because I could keep it consistent whether I was using a moonclip gun or a speedloader gun.

I also never really messed around the FAST with a clip gun, but I imagine with a properly set up 625 I could get under 5.00 if I actually, you know, practiced.
    Last edited by jetfire; 05-16-2017 at 10:40 AM.

User Tag List