Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DotW 13: The F.A.S.T.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I definitely need to do more dryfire practice of draws and reloads wearing multiple layers, as I am normally dressed this way in the colder months.
    Or just cheat, if wardrobe and weather allow. I always keep the layer closest to the gun the longest garment. So if I grab it and rip, it moves everything else above it out of the way. If your outer garment is longer than the inner, then you should position your gun outside the inner garment (tuck your shirt/sweater in). Then before removing your jacket you just untuck the shirt so everything stays concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Or just cheat, if wardrobe and weather allow. I always keep the layer closest to the gun the longest garment. So if I grab it and rip, it moves everything else above it out of the way. If your outer garment is longer than the inner, then you should position your gun outside the inner garment (tuck your shirt/sweater in). Then before removing your jacket you just untuck the shirt so everything stays concealed.
    Todd, thanks very much for the tip; I will definitely need to see if I can make this work with my wardrobe. Either way, I still need to do a lot more dryfire practice...

Glock 17 Gen 3.

Concealed: Cabela's Windstopper sweater, open front
    Comp-Tac Paddle holster. 3 O'clock.
    1: 6.69 clean
    2: 6.27 clean
    3: 5.86 -1 H, -1 B
    aggregate: 21.82

I hate 3x5 cards.

I don't shoot that small of a target often. So I ran 100 rounds of practice on them. I can hit them better now.

Bill

Shot it cold this time.

Concealed, AIWB, closed-front shirt, stock G34

1: 1.41/.50/1.91/.25/.24/.22 = 4.53 clean
    2: 1.32/.56/2.41/.25/.22/.21 = 4.97 clean
    3: 1.29/.47/2.22/.22/.22/.21 = 4.63 -1 H, -1 B = 7.63

Total time: 17.29

[IMG] FASTx3 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've been making a real mental effort to shoot clean. Was disappointed to not shoot it clean three times consecutively, but I usually don't shoot it clean across three attempts, so this is not really a surprise. I was very happy to shoot sub-5 clean on the true cold attempt though.

I actually shot this a couple days ago, took a picture, but misplaced my paper where I wrote the times down. Went to the range today to reshoot it, found the paper in my range box, and worked on shots to the 3x5 card instead. The 3x5 shots were interesting...I'll address those somewhere other than this thread.

Concealed AIWB P2000 V2 under closed front shirt. Shot Cold
    o time and hits for string 1 7.97 C
    o time and hits for string 2 7.94 C
    o time and hits for string 3 7.40 -1 Body adjusted score of 8.40
    o aggregate score 24.31

This is the second week since I've gone to P2000 only(had it around but needed a holster) and I'm happy with how I did on this drill. Compared to my M&P 9FS with FSS kit I'd been using I'm 1.5 seconds (unadjusted) slower currently but perform way better on my 3x5 hits so I'm actually beating my average aggregate M&P score. My first shot/second shot are already the same splits as I was getting with the M&P. I'm losing the time at my reload and splits on 8"circle. I'm getting used to the new magazine release and mess up my grip occasionally like I did in string 3 to miss once and put one on the line barely.

I took a video of the 3 consecutive runs but my IPhone 4S decided to focus on the table instead of me so obviously my new phone wasn't very impressed.

Mere mortal results

Since I preach "Your ego is not your amigo" here's my attempt today.

Some kind of 5" 1911 in .45. Sparks VMII from concealment (fairly light jacket.)

All shots in. The blowout in the lower RH corner was from ripping off the target off the backer in a hurry.

1) 10.10
    2) 11.34
    3) 13.84

35.28 aggregate

You speed demons just amaze me.

I might have time for other runs this weekend, weather and time permitting. This is fairly representative of how it goes for me right now.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

* starting position: AIWB from under a hoody
    * type of holster: comp tac 2 o' clock
    * time and hits for string 1: 5.65 2.06 / .53 / 2.05 / .38 / .33 / .30
    * time and hits for string 2: 5.68 2.11 / .57 / 1.99 / .38 / .32 / .31
    * time and hits for string 3: 5.58 1.96 / .65 / 2.01 / .35 / .32 / .29
    * aggregate score: 16.91

All hits with 5.58 as a new personal best for me on the FAST... Time to first hit needs work, but I am very pleased with my sub 2 sec reload on string 2. My splits also need work, I just can't seem to consistently see faster than .30

I also worked on 2H, SHO, and WHO at 50' on the 3x5 and got 100% hits out of 30 rds
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    * starting position: P30 concealed AIWB from under a tshirt
    * type of holster: comp tac infidel
    * time and hits for string 1: 6.77 - 2.26/.84/2.54/.40/.40/.33 (-2H, -1B)
    * time and hits for string 2: 7.14 - 2.37/.97/2.53/.43/.46/.38 (-1H, -1B)
    * time and hits for string 3: 6.70 - 2.30/.84/2.31/.46/.41/.38 (-1H)
    * total score: 20.61
    * aggregate score: 30.61

First off, that was not at all how I was expecting/hoping to perform. However, my biggest take away from this drill (and thinking back to the previous drills) is that I go way too fast. I am so worried about making a goal (<7sec clean) that I am not ready for, that I speed through the drill and miss. I unfortunately did not perform last weeks DotW due to work travel, but I think it would have helped a lot to put my skill level in to perspective.

I think my first task for 2012 is to see what skill level I am truly at and make more realistic goals to work on and build from there.

Walther P99 Concealed

1: 8.39(-1B)=9.39
    2: 7.35
    3: 6.71(-1H)=8.71
    Aggregate=25.45

I think I need to inscribe 'visual patience' on the rear of the slide...
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Concealed Gen4 G19 from AIWB shaggy holster while at KSTG match. First run was clean, had an improperly staged mag for the second run, missed a shot for the third.

Total aggregate after accuracy penalties: 27.46
    #RESIST

User Tag List