Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DotW 13: The F.A.S.T.

We are diminished

DotW 13: The F.A.S.T.

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 13: The F.A.S.T.
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 2-January-2012.

designed by Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7yd
    Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see here for a downloadable target; this target [i]must be printed on an 8.5x14 "legal" sheet of paper)
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
    Rounds fired: 18

The end of 2011. The beginning of 2012. Lucky number 13... the F.A.S.T.!

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).

1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 3x5 card.
    2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
    3. Fire four rounds to the 8" circle.

Repeat for a total of three runs (18 rounds).

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 3x5 that hit the 8", or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:
    Total time + 2s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed + 1s penalty for each 8" shot missed

The drill is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

• Concealed: no penalty
    • retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run
    • retention holster with open top mag mag pouches: no penalty or bonus
    • ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run
    • open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or ready position)
    • type of holster (if applicable)
    • time and hits for string 1
    • time and hits for string 2
    • time and hits for string 3
    • aggregate score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by ToddG; 12-26-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: I did not say 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see here for a downloadable target; this target [i]must be printed on an 8.5x11 "legal" sheet of paper)
    "8.5x11 legal"? Do you mean 8.5x14 legal? Or do you mean 8.5x11 letter?

gun: HKP30L 9mm
    starting position: Concealed under Fleece Comptac Straight Drop
    time and hits for string 1: 7.67 C: 2.43/.65/3.21/.46/.44/.46
    time and hits for string 2: 7.42 C: 2.49/.64/2.96/.44/.46/.42
    time and hits for string 3: 7.93 -1B: 2.52/.70/3.14/.53/.50/.52
    aggregate score: 24.02 (that's all 3 scores +1sec penalty for missing body shot, correct?)

As a side note, I dropped one string after 2 headshots, b/c I heard someone pull up to the range. There's no rule against it, but it is frowned upon to draw at the range. If no one else is their, it's okay, but...

8.5 x 14 LEGAL size paper is necessary for the correct size FAST target.

Fortunately I was able to quickly sneak to the range on my day off today.

G17 w/RMR07 AIWB from Fricke Seraphim holster:

String 1: 5.33 sec clean
    String 2: 4.97 sec with a missed head shot for an adjusted score of 6.97 sec.
    String 3: 5.01 sec clean (My best ever clean run with a RMR Glock!)

Well, tried the FAST for the first time actually on the clock. Shot cold (On an old target, so there are a couple of older hits here and there marked with a black sharpie to differentiate between old hits, and the FAST runs.)

Gen 4 G17, Archangel AIWB with closed-front shirt
    Run 1: 5.15 clean
    Run 2: 5.30 -2H, -1B (!) = 10.30 (BLEH!)
    Run 3: 4.89 clean
    Aggregate Time: 20.34

...not sure what happened in the middle run other than apparently my trigger control took a break. [sigh] I was so disgusted with my shooting on that run that I didn't read the breakdown from the timer, so I don't know the draw/splits/reload times, just the overall.

-2H: One over, one under
    -1B: pulled one under

Actually had a video camera with me this time, so I filmed the three runs. Sloppy shooting here and there. One of these days, I'll be on the eastern side of the country, and have to attend one of Todd's classes, and learn some accuracy.

I just received one of the Blade-tech WRS holsters for T&E, I assume this would fall into the "retention holster" category where there's no penalty to shoot it since it's a closed top?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I just received one of the Blade-tech WRS holsters for T&E, I assume this would fall into the "retention holster" category where there's no penalty to shoot it since it's a closed top?

That is the holster I broke in two of Todd's classes where the belt attachment holds the belt at its desired width.

We are diminished
    jth -- I didn't fix it because it was never broken and it's just a coincidence that the original post was edited but it always said 8.5x14 and you can't prove otherwise! (i.e., thanks... fixed it)

caleb -- I'd have to see one and play with it to make a ruling. Essentially, if the "retention" disengages simply by acquiring your firing grip like the ALS and SERPA then it gets a penalty.

I was assuming that this was intended to be shot cold. And it was plenty cold outside. Jacket for concealment from a Ready Tac holster and mag pouch, Gen 3 G17.
    4.99 Missed 1 head and 2 body = 8.99
    4.82 Missed 1 body = 5.82
    Total 19.66

Don't really know what happend on the 1st one. Opps. Some people I know say that the Rady Tac holster isn't a carry holster although I do in the winter so I grabbed a buddies Raven (don't have one for a 17 myself yet but gotta get one). Seemed to hold the gun way up higher and easier to get to. I also had the benifit of having just shot it 3 times. The 3rd string here I got a way bad grip on the gun and almost threw my first shot but lost it on the second. Grip fixed post reload.
    5.17 Missed 1 head
    Total 16.56

This is the first time I have tried the FAST with my P30. I am liking the progress. I seem about .5 - 1 second slower than my M&P but am not dropping as many shots. I feel like I am progressing well and will like the P30 in the long run. I have only run about 500 rounds through it so far.

Run 1 8.01 clean
    Run 2 7.56 clean
    Run 3 7.45 -1 body 8.45 total

Total 23.02

User Tag List