Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal SIG 320 Journey

So would a P320c be good for young lady (my sister) that has never shot a gun before? She does not own a gun but I only have one P320c actually only one P320 and I am thinking of just giving it to her because I really do not want to support a new platform.

My parents helped me out a during my deployment a lot so this would help.

It posted twice.
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 07-11-2017 at 03:12 AM.

ffhounddog,

I think she would be well-served with a Sig. Just make sure you provide her the training to go with it. Your time is the true gift.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    jljones is Jerry Jones of OpSec Training – Bruce Gray’s outfit. Those guys know a thing or two about the 320. I don’t know if he’s right or not, but his information matches up with my small sample of guns.

Thanks for the kind words. I try to be a fair broker of info based upon actual experience and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by OPSPEC View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I try to be a fair broker of info based upon actual experience and testing.
    Sharing your information and experience is much appreciated by those of us interested in the 320.

My agency will soon be transitioning to a new pistol and I'm on the evaluation team. It's going to be the P320 or the latest iteration of the Glock 17. The Glock rep will be out in a couple of weeks, but last week we met with Sig and fired a couple thousand rounds through every version of the 320. Most of our range officers aren't gun people, so most of the dozen or so folks present didn't do much shooting. Okay, more free fun for me. I have to say, I was impressed with the 320's shooting characteristics. Very controllable, accurate and reliable (at least in the various samples we tried). I far prefer the ergonomics of the Sig over the Glock. The only hesitation I have with the Sig is the fact that it's a new design, whereas there are no secrets with the Glock. The failure points and maintenance issues on the Sig are unknown at this point, while the Glock is a well known commodity. A couple of state agencies to the south of us have recently gone to the Sig and my initial opinion was, let them be the beta testers for the new hotness. Still, unless the new flavor of Glock just blows me away, I think the Sig has my vote.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-12-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

didn't the US gov't just spend a pile of money testing the P320? why duplicate the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    didn't the US gov't just spend a pile of money testing the P320? why duplicate the effort?
    Do you blindly trust your government with everything? I'm just sharing my experience with the pistol, not voicing endorsement or criticism of government procurement policies. Besides, I'm told to show up and evaluate, so I show up and evaluate. The decision to do so or not is far above my pay grade, so I really see no point to your question.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-12-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

the point of my question is why duplicate all the testing uncle sam just did?

get a few samples, have a bunch of folks shoot each one for different drills, and collect opinions at the end of the day.

they are both good, reliable pistols, so pick one that most folks shoot well and that fits your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My agency will soon be transitioning to a new pistol and I'm on the evaluation team. It's going to be the P320 or the latest iteration of the Glock 17. The Glock rep will be out in a couple of weeks, but last week we met with Sig and fired a couple thousand rounds through every version of the 320. Most of our range officers aren't gun people, so most of the dozen or so folks present didn't do much shooting. Okay, more free fun for me. I have to say, I was impressed with the 320's shooting characteristics. Very controllable, accurate and reliable (at least in the various samples we tried). I far prefer the ergonomics of the Sig over the Glock. The only hesitation I have with the Sig is the fact that it's a new design, whereas there are no secrets with the Glock. The failure points and maintenance issues on the Sig are unknown at this point, while the Glock is a well known commodity. A couple of state agencies to the south of us have recently gone to the Sig and my initial opinion was, let them be the beta testers for the new hotness. Still, unless the new flavor of Glock just blows me away, I think the Sig has my vote.

In the event you do adopt the 320, I don't believe you will be disappointed with it. We went through the same thing back in 2015 when my then Chief, decided department issued weapons was the greatest thing ever.... Myself and the other range instructors set off on the test and evaluation of several pistols including the 320. Long story short, I headed the "issued weapons" thing off at the pass, thank god, but did get to spend a lot of time and rounds shooting various platforms. When our testing was over, it came down to the 320 and the Glock G17 and G19. Overall the 320 scored higher on ergonomics, and accuracy per shooter=officers that were picked to evaluate.

At the end of the evals, I purchased a 320, as did two other of our four range instructors. On top of that several other officers that participated in our testing, purchased their own P320's all but one were carrying glock prior to that. We have also had a few more officers pick up 320's and are now carrying them. Fast forward to today, and I have 2 320's my early 2015 model, which was one of the test guns by the way, and a more recent 2017 version. My 2015 has over 10k rounds through it, and my 2017 is approaching 6k rounds. I have not had a single failure. To my knowledge, none of the officers in the department have had a failure with their 320's at least none have occurred while training with us, or have been reported to me by them.

I agree the 320 is a relative new design, abeit an upgraded version of the 250, but it seems to be a solid platform. Only time will tell how it will hold up, but so far so good. They all have to start somewhere.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 07-12-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

User Tag List