Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testimonial of my idiocy

Testimonial of my idiocy

I'm pushing 50 so I don't get embarrassed much but I feel ashamed. I started shooting 14 months ago and I have been very safety conscious and and deliberate. I haven't been to the range in nearly 3 months (work and . . . life and stuff). Went today and took my P229 .357Sig and my full size Px4 in 9mm. I started with my P229. After 100 rounds of working on fundamental stuff I started doing a drill with the target that has circles growing in size from 1-5 on the left and decreasing in size from 6-10 on the right (I just shoot for time down one side - mag change and then down the other.). I grabbed a new box of ammo from my can and loaded three mags with 10 each (going to shoot straight through all 10 this time).

I hit all the black (only 7yds away) but something seemed strange. I started picking up the brass and they were screwed up. I decided to not shoot any more of that and started putting the spent cartridges back into the box for later examination . . . when I noticed I just shot 10 rounds of 9mm through my .357Sig P229. They all ejected and fed through the magazine!!! It was only then that I thought back to loading the mags when I thought "man, these magazines are loose; I'm going to need to get some new springs soon. All the brass was perfectly expanded to the larger chamber but one had ruptured (hole in the side but still intact at the mouth).

It took me a few minutes to settle down after trying to figure out exactly how I let it all happen.

Anyway . . . did I screw anything up on the Sig? No obvious damage seen upon field strip but I don't know much about all of this stuff yet.

It's fine. Clean it and you'll be good to go. Best, Jon

Thanks Jon. Thinking about it more, I probably need to replace my recoil spring in the P229. If regular pressure 9mm is cycling it.

Site Supporter
    It's good to go. I've witnessed a .45 1911 feed and fire 9mm. It expanded too much to extract. No other issues than user error (we're human).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    It's good to go. I've witnessed a .45 1911 feed and fire 9mm. It expanded too much to extract.
    According to Amazon, I ordered this exactly one year ago. (P-F.com link.) Most commercially available squib rods have so-so reviews at best.
    Last edited by Drang; 07-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    It's good to go. I've witnessed a .45 1911 feed and fire 9mm. It expanded too much to extract. No other issues than user error (we're human).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I took a group of new shooters to the range once, and one of them loaded a .40 S&W in my .45 1911. Same result - fired the round, case expanded and split, getting stuck in the chamber. Works fine to this day, it's seen upwards of 2k rounds since then.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

My daughter and I were shooting her .380 last summer but she wanted to try out a Shield. I loaded the range rental up and fired a round. Recoil seemed mild and the slide didn't cycle.

OK, time to put the .380 ammo away while shooting a nine.

Site Supporter
    If any of you own pistols in 7.62x25, be very careful with this. This is a bottlenecked cartridge used in pistols like the CZ-52, which is also available in 9mm. A 9mm cartridge will chamber in a 7.62x25 chamber, but firing the gun would be attempting to put a 9mm dia. bullet down a 7.62 mm dia. barrel.

I've found 9mm cases expanded to .40 and .40 cases expanded to .45 on the range before, so don't think you are the first.

It would be good to learn and make sure it is your last though.

My occasional mistake is taking a 9mm carry gun out for a range session, shooting reloads a plenty. When I go looking for my magazine of (relatively fresh) 9mm Federal HST's I realize that they also got shot during the session.

Oops! Expensive practice ammo.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Done it.

If that's the stupidest thing you ever do with a handgun, you'll be ok.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List