Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Best new 1911 for less than $1911?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm pretty sure galling isn't an issue anymore, and hasn't been one for a couple of decades at least.

The Duty Treatment finish on the other hand, has some reports of incompatibility with some common lubes/cleaners. I'm not a Dan Wesson guy, so I don't specifically know what those products are, but they've been commented on in the various forums.
    Galling will always be a possibility with tight, stainless on stainless guns.

There are some cleaners out there that you're not supposed to use on the duty treat guns, because it can discolor or cloud the finish. It's really not that big of a deal. All the cleaning the DT finish needs can be accomplished with wiping the gun down with oil.

I'd go with a carbon steel 5" Colt.

Dan Wessons are nice indeed, but I'm a function over form guy and I can't pay for more than a Colt that still needs the barrel properly fit.

Pretty much everything I've seen between Colt and Wilson was just fancy. Not better.

A proper barrel fit times the gun and it's the heart of the machine. Precious few 1911s have properly fit barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Pretty much everything I've seen between Colt and Wilson was just fancy. Not better.
    Well, not sure what Wilson's you've handled but my Wilson's are fit head and shoulders better than my Colts. The thumb safety is sloppy and mushy on both of my Colts, the bushing fit on my M45A1 is laughable with visible slop on the barrel, the trigger fit isn't as precise, etc. I had to mess with the extractor tension on my CCU 9mm to get it running properly.

I have two Wilson's OTOH that have been flawless (as expected for the price) and everything fits together properly as it should. There is a *definite* difference in the quality and attention to detail between a rack grade Colt and a Wilson. A Dan Wesson is also executed to a higher standard than Colt. It just is.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Galling will always be a possibility with tight, stainless on stainless guns.
    That may be true.
    pastaslinger wrote,
    Galling is real and is just more likely because of the stainless steel, lots of talk about it on the Dan Wesson forum on 1911forum
    I've been on 1911forum for several years and hadn't heard that. Admittedly, I spend almost no time on the Dan Wesson sub forum. However, I did go back and search for some of those comments in the Dan Wesson sub forum. They are there, but most are not from what I'd consider the more experienced members, though that doesn't mean it isn't a real thing.

On the other hand, if you search through the Ed Brown sub forum, you'll find some questions about galling, and Ed Brown makes a lot of stainless guns, and most would be considered fitted tighter than the Dan Wesson products, and most of the Ed Brown folks will deny there is an issue with galling with Ed Brown 1911's specifically, and modern stainless handguns in general.

I'll admit, I'm not a metallurgist, but my understanding is the early stainless auto loaders used the same alloy for both the frame and slide. This allowed galling to be a problem. My understanding is, since the 1980's, most manufacturers have used a different alloy for the frame and slide that has significantly limited galling to the point where it is practically nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That may be true.

I've been on 1911forum for several years and hadn't heard that. Admittedly, I spend almost no time on the Dan Wesson sub forum. However, I did go back and search for some of those comments in the Dan Wesson sub forum. They are there, but most are not from what I'd consider the more experienced members, though that doesn't mean it isn't a real thing.

On the other hand, if you search through the Ed Brown sub forum, you'll find some questions about galling, and Ed Brown makes a lot of stainless guns, and most would be considered fitted tighter than the Dan Wesson products, and most of the Ed Brown folks will deny there is an issue with galling with Ed Brown 1911's specifically, and modern stainless handguns in general.

I'll admit, I'm not a metallurgist, but my understanding is the early stainless auto loaders used the same alloy for both the frame and slide. This allowed galling to be a problem. My understanding is, since the 1980's, most manufacturers have used a different alloy for the frame and slide that has significantly limited galling to the point where it is practically nonexistent.
    It is true.

There were numerous complaints about galling on stainless DW's during the first half of 2015. Now, when it comes up, it seems as though it's from people not lubricating their guns early on.

The reason you don't hear about it in Ed Browns is because they shoot at least 50 rounds through their guns, and up to 200 (if a gun has problems) before they leave the factory. If a gun is going to gall, it's probably going to do it in the first magazine or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Well, not sure what Wilson's you've handled but my Wilson's are fit head and shoulders better than my Colts. The thumb safety is sloppy and mushy on both of my Colts, the bushing fit on my M45A1 is laughable with visible slop on the barrel, the trigger fit isn't as precise, etc. I had to mess with the extractor tension on my CCU 9mm to get it running properly.

I have two Wilson's OTOH that have been flawless (as expected for the price) and everything fits together properly as it should. There is a *definite* difference in the quality and attention to detail between a rack grade Colt and a Wilson. A Dan Wesson is also executed to a higher standard than Colt. It just is.
    Yeah. What I meant is that Colt is a great pistol for the money, the next stop for me would be Wilson Combat since I don't consider anything in between to be functionally equal to a good Colt.

Some people demand a seamless beavertail fit. I don't even need a beavertail, but you better believe I'm checking ramp angle and depth, barrel bed, barrel spring, VIS, upper lug engagement, lower lug fit, things like that.

Colt does it sloppy, but they get it right more oft than not. Wilson Combat and Springfield Custom does it tight and they do it right as well.

User Tag List