Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best new 1911 for less than $1911?

I went down this road recently, and ended up with a DW V-BOB. No complaints at all on how it fulfilled the wish, even though I'm moving on and going back to 9mm Glocks.

Another vote for Dan Wesson. I'd put them up there with my Wilsons and Browns. You get more for your money with DW than probably any other 1911.

Generally, the sub $2,000 winner is a Les Baer TRS/UTC/Premier.

They have some oddities about them, so I'd probably join the crowd with the Dan Wesson choice. Springfield TRP would also be a worthwhile choice.

Site Supporter
    I'm happy with my TRP.

That being said if we're looking at a solid 2k? I'd be tempted to go after the Warren SACS gun.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

They have some oddities about them, so I'd probably join the crowd with the Dan Wesson choice. Springfield TRP would also be a worthwhile choice.
    I've had two Baers, one of them being a UTC. I'd still choose DW any day.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    If the Silverback had a plain blsck serrated rear sight that would be my vote, but I dislike the 3 dot adjustables and the grips look ugly to me.
    I'm sure that blade/block can be changed, and at least the slide is cut for the adjustable if you want it. If you don't want adjustable, Valor all the way.

Grips are personal and subject to change.

Silverback can occasionally be had at a sufficiently low price to support a return home to get the silver parts turned black and stay under a $1911 budget, if that's your thing. Keith actually suggested doing it this way, rather than ordering a custom-built gun from DW at full retail, FWIW. He also suggested getting 200 of the 500 recommended break-in rounds through it before sending it back to have Duty Treat harden the surfaces of the rails.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Dan Wesson Valor all day every day. I have two.
    This ^^^ though I only have one right now :-)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

That was true when they were under $2,000. Now you will only find sub $2k Baers in the used market.

I have a couple older Baers which I am happy with but the QC on the new ones is inconsistent.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2017 at 09:38 PM.

I still see Baers under $2k

The Warren gun I actually forgot about

I have considered the Silverback with the intention of selling the sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    Larry Vickers recently posted on a similar question on another site.
    If I remember correctly, he stated for less than a $1,000 buy a Colt, for less than $2,000 buy a Dan Wesson.
    That's not bad advice at all, though I will say the new Gold Cup Trophy compares nicely with the Dan Wesson Pointman 9.

The Colt Combat Unit Pistol is worth looking at if you want a rail gun. The Special Combat Government is normally found at a price higher than $1911. Even now that they are shipping with checkered front straps, whether or not the quality matches a Dan Wesson in the same price range is debatable.

If you are considering a 9mm, I seem to see more reports of reliability issues with DW than with Colt.

User Tag List