Thread: How to turn an M16 USGI sling into a nifty N.M./Rhodesian-hybrid scout sling.

How to turn an M16 USGI sling into a nifty N.M./Rhodesian-hybrid scout sling.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with tons of old USGI slings lying about. Being broke and unemployed makes you work with what you've got on hand. I've adapted them to everything from backpack straps to deadlift straps. Today I was playing around with one as an actual sling.

You will need:

1 USGI sling or same length nylon strap (strap material can be had in many colors on Amazon).

3 triglides (I used the ones from USGI slings. They are each issued with 2, so you will need 1 extra).

First, place all three triglides on the sling in the same orientation. Attach one end to the rear sling swivel using 1 triglide (first attachment).

Next, run the other end of the sling through the front of the swivel so that the tail is facing away from the rifle. Run the tail through 1 side of the nearest triglide (attachment 2).

Finally, secure the sling by looping it through and back over the middle triglide (attachment 3).

Adjust it to your preference. The front triglide can be moved to allow for a Rhodesian/Ching-esque large hole (attachment 4), or it can easily and quickly cinched down to a N.M. small and tight loop (attachment 5).

I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes with this design, as it was the product of boredom, beer, and cheapness. I was actually able to reproduce a VCAS sling using only USGI sling parts, but it was retardedly heavy and honestly a mess of too many triglides. If you try try this sling, please let me know what you think.

Also, it does not perform miracles or do anything better than a good sling like Andy's Leather Rhodesian sling. It does however, cost less than $5 to make.

Name:  IMG_5827.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  39.1 KBName:  IMG_5828.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_5830.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  58.2 KBName:  IMG_5829.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  55.1 KB
    Last edited by Coyote41; 05-11-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Cool tip, thanks!

User Tag List