Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrett 98B

Barrett 98B

I have been eyeing a Barrett 98B in .300 WM as a possible long range elk and caribou rifle. Bare rifle weighs in the 9-10 pound range, which scoped and slung up will make it heavy but not ridiculous to carry.

Anyone have experience with these?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I do. And in full disclosure, I worked with the T&E folks at Barrett with these, and Chris Barrett is a close friend.

I'm a fan. Chris is an actual shooter and designs his rifles accordingly. It really is an ergonomic, user friendly gun. I didn't realize it was that heavy. I'm in some of the promo pics running around with it and I thought it was about seven pounds, by feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    One does not simply buy a Barrett 98B in a caliber that isn't a 338 lapua. Very un-timmy.

-20 smoke-checks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Barrett 98B

I didn't spend Barrett money on it, but I have a similar rifle: it's also a 300 WM, with a 26" sendero profile barrel and an XLR Element. Scope is off at the moment.

I never had any intentions of toting this thing around when I put it together. But even with a 2-pound Nightforce perched on top, I was very surprised how "relatively" light and easy to handle it is.

And even with the 5-rnd AI mag, it'll fit in an Eberlestock Gun Runner pack. Unless you have a large objective scope. It just barely fits in there with a 4-16x42 ATACR. The gunrunner pack is awesome, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 05-12-2017 at 07:39 AM.

I don't know anything about the Barret. SLG posted about this rifle on here as a rifle that looked interesting to him, or I would not have known about it. Its a similar idea at a lighter weight.

http://liveqordie.com/product/rifles-by-q/the-fix-by-q/

I don't know if the calibers available will work for you.

Found the thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....grendel-Killer
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Crews,

Your .300 looks a lot like mine:

26" Light Palma

Looking forward to a range report on the Barrett.

Stopped by Sportsman's today, and they had the Ruger Precision rifle, Tikka Tac A1 in the chassis, and the Savage equivalent.

Wow, glad I handled before I bought, as I can't see hunting with something that heavy. The Tikka was every bit as heavy as the Ruger Precision rifle. The Savage was a bit lighter, but felt cheap by comparison, and the safety was unusable for quick shooting.

What is up with that Q, fix, or whatever they are calling that new rifle referenced earlier in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Stopped by Sportsman's today, and they had the Ruger Precision rifle, Tikka Tac A1 in the chassis, and the Savage equivalent.

Wow, glad I handled before I bought, as I can't see hunting with something that heavy. The Tikka was every bit as heavy as the Ruger Precision rifle. The Savage was a bit lighter, but felt cheap by comparison, and the safety was unusable for quick shooting.

What is up with that Q, fix, or whatever they are calling that new rifle referenced earlier in this thread?

I have not seen or handled a Q but it looks to me like they aggressively removed a lot of material from the stock and barrel to save weight which is nothing new. What is new is the design of the bolt action itself.

They are taking pre-orders and it is not available in 300 WM at this time.

What distances are considered long range hunting?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

What distances are considered long range hunting?
    Good question, but I know it when I see it. I feel 0-300 is my sweet spot for trad bolt hunting rifles, but I go to 400 under special circumstances. Last year, I had to shoot further when I harvested my elk. Would like something that made 400-500 yards feel like 300 in a trad bolt.

It is ironic, that currently a semi-auto .308 weighs considerably less than a bolt in a chassis.

I'd just get a traditional style .300 and have it trued and slicked up a bit.
    #RESIST

User Tag List