Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Shield for $250

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Why not get a manual safety?
    Not a fan of the current design. On the two I've shot on multiple occasions, both early models belonging to friends, the MS felt more like an afterthought than something designed with subconscious reliability in mind. The two things that stood out to me each time I shot their Shields...

1) This shoots like a much bigger gun
    2) It took thought and effort to disengage the MS, requiring pressure from a very small spot in the inside of my knuckle to do it.

ETA: I could not sweep the MS with a normal firing grip. I had to draw the gun, loosen my grip to disable the safety with the inside of my thumb, then back to a firing grip. The same in reverse to engage the safety after coming off a target. This is why it took conscious effort.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-24-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Site Supporter
    Why not get a manual safety?
    They are the same price either way on PSA. I ordered the one with - a guy I know built his up with little heads of epoxy, and made it easier to manipulate. I'll experiment, if the one I get is obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    They are the same price either way on PSA. I ordered the one with - a guy I know built his up with little heads of epoxy, and made it easier to manipulate. I'll experiment, if the one I get is obnoxious.
    Mine with a manual safety has been fine in use. I like that's aspect for a tucked or very NPe gun

I use a Shield without a manual safety as a BUG for uniform patrol. My BUG is carried so as to be drawn with my non-domomant hand (left), si I didn't want to have to deal with the safety. I carried one of the models with a safety for a couple of years, but about 3-4 times per year, I would find at the end of the day that I forgot to take tae safety off prior to getting dressed for work. (I used the safety when transporting to gun to work.)

But with that said, I still use a Shield with a safety on occasion. For me, the safety on the Shield is more of a, "Storage Safety". If I'm going to temporarily put the gun somewhere, glove box, suitcase while on vacation, ect. then I like the option to have the manual safety.

Like many, I assume that the Shield is being blasted out of inventory to make way for a new 2.0 version. And I would be very interested in seeing what a 2.0 Shield would look like. But even without a, "New and Improved 2.0" the current Shield is my favorite pistol of the M&P series of guns. I always thought S&W could've priced the Shield at the same price as the M&P9c and sold them well enough. I was always impressed at your, "bang of your buck" with the Shield. But now that you can pick one up for around $225.00, it's a hell of a gun for that price.

Mine with a manual safety has been fine in use. I like that's aspect for a tucked or very NPe gun
    Probably my hand size and less than optimal dexterity.

hey tom, can you engineer us a better shield safety for existing shields?

After shooting a 45 with a monster safety for a few years I can say I have no real issues disengaging the little safety on my Shield, and I don't even dry fire practice handguns with safeties much at all anymore. Seems easy enough, I just flick my thumb across it as usual and it pops off as expected.

All depends on your hands and grip though. Not every gun fits everyone.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have extra-big hands. Haven't been to the range with one, but I can't seem to dry fire one of these without the front sight jumping pretty far up and right. Don't have a problem with that on slightly larger guns like P938 (maybe only thicker) and 3953.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Well, it's shipped. We'll see how much trouble I'm in when it gets here.

Site Supporter
    It's here. So far, just dry firing, I actually like it.

User Tag List