Thread: J-frame grip screw replacement

J-frame grip screw replacement

I've only had my 642-1 for a few weeks and the grip screw started rusting. Seems weird to have a gun with corrosion resistant parts but the grip screw is carbon steel. Anyway, I got a 316 stainless steel screw to replace the rusty one. If you are interested in getting one the screw size is button head 8/32 thread and 3/4 inch long. The drive is 3/32 Allen. This is McMaster-Carr part number 98164A139.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Back in college when I worked in a restaurant, I'd get pretty sweaty over the course of a shift. I noticed the factory grip screw rusted up then, too. I never replaced it like you did, rather, I de-scaled the screw with brake cleaner, greased the threads and re-installed. I covered the head with beeswax, as everything else wiped off too easily. I had to reapply on a weekly basis. Seemed to keep the rust at bay.

This became a non-issue when I eventually replaced the factory rubber stocks with CT grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I've only had my 642-1 for a few weeks and the grip screw started rusting. Seems weird to have a gun with corrosion resistant parts but the grip screw is carbon steel. Anyway, I got a 316 stainless steel screw to replace the rusty one. If you are interested in getting one the screw size is button head 8/32 thread and 3/4 inch long. The drive is 3/32 Allen. This is McMaster-Carr part number 98164A139.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    You can also go to Ace Hardware store to purchase Stainless Steel Button Head Cap Screw (8/32 thread, 3/4" length):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8xPK1bNPoiNChotJ9

User Tag List