Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Olight S1R the best mini EDC light we have to date?

For the money the best EDC light for general purpose use is probably the Zebralight SC63w. It puts out an absurd amount of light and is smaller than some older AA lights.

I find the switch on the Olights to be kind of crappy and prone to accidental presses. In general the tint of their light is very blue which is for me at least very offputting.

If you must have a tailswitch I'd look at Armytek or an Eagletac DX30LC2 with the Armytek tactical models being the preferred for hard use because they have a much higher impact resistance rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Looks like a nice light. Impressive output for a small light. I'm not a fan of the side button but I have never tried one. Doesn't seem like it would pair with a pistol very well.

Is there a good USA made light that is price competitive to this or say the FourSevens Quark line?
    No. Everything that I am aware of in the sub $100 price point is made in China.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 05-11-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    No. Everything that I am aware of in the sub $100 price point is made in China.
    Streamlight is American-made, durable, and well below $100. Tiny, high-lumen lights have shitty run times and their output drop off is abrupt. Unless you have girl jeans pockets, what's the allure of these little Chinese chode lights?
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

As a card carrying member of FA (Flashoholics Anonymous) and owning an array of lights I'll offer the following;

For normal EDC any of the Chinese lights mentioned do a good job. There are models that put out a lot of light in a small package, which makes them easy to have on your person all the time. I routinely carry a (now discontinued) Foursevens Quark that puts out 780 lumens in turbo mode running on a single 14500 Li-ion battery (AA size). This model is no longer available due to a patent infringement lawsuit by Surefire. I have a few of these lights and they have all been trouble free. However, the construction of these lights - especially the switches and electronics - are not up to the standards of Surefire, much less Malkoff.

If you need a physically rugged light that can take a lot of abuse, Malkoff is IMO in a class of its own. The electronics are fully potted and the entire light is built like a tank. Compared to any of the Asian lights, they exude quality. Though they do not have the "over clocked" lumen levels of the Asian lights, if I could only carry one brand it would be Malkoff.

Surefire obviously makes a superb light as well and I own several, including their PR1. Well built, great performance and certainly a light you could bet your life on.

FYI, most of the Streamlight products are made in China, some of them simply assembled in the U.S.A. using Chinese parts. I carry a PolyTac in my car for emergency use and it fills that role perfectly. This model can also run on a 16650 Li-ion battery.

For EDC, it's hard to beat the less expensive Chinese lights. They put out a lot of light and are easy to carry. If it is lost or fails, no major loss. But for more serious use (including WMLs), I would stick with something like Surefire, Malkoff and Elzetta.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Streamlight is American-made, durable, and well below $100. Tiny, high-lumen lights have shitty run times and their output drop off is abrupt. Unless you have girl jeans pockets, what's the allure of these little Chinese chode lights?
    I've had a very good experience so far with my chinese lights, the two olights have great run time. I use the S1R every day and charge it maybe once a month. I do think the lumen ratings are kinda crazy, when I compare the S1R(900) to my protac 1L(110 lumen), it does not seem that much brighter if at all. I don't see light manufactures as mutually exclusive; owning a couple chinese won't keep my from owning SL as well.
    Last edited by cjb1911; 05-12-2017 at 08:26 AM.

*Some Streamlights are American made
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I usually know better than to trust Wikipedia. Really starting to regret that one dollar donation they so desperately needed.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

*Some sure.

*All tax dollars are US though as many streamlights are berry compliant and have have their HQ in the US.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    I've had a very good experience so far with my chinese lights, the two olights have great run time. I use the S1R every day and charge it maybe once a month. I do think the lumen ratings are kinda crazy, when I compare the S1R(900) to my protac 1L(110 lumen), it does not seem that much brighter if at all. I don't see light manufactures as mutually exclusive; owning a couple chinese won't keep my from owning SL as well.
    That's because of two things. First thing is lumens are not linear, they are logarithmic. I don't remember the exact math but you need to quadruple the lumens to make it double the brightness as perceived to your eyes. The second thing is candela. Candela is the measure of the intensity of the lumen output in a specific area. The higher candela rating of a flashlight the further it will actually throw the light. Both the Olight S1R and ProTac 1L seem to have about 5000 candela at max so despite the fact that the ProTac maxes at less than 1/3 the lumens that of the Olight they both throw about the same distance so they will both light up a road 60-70 meters. I have a light (Eagletac DX30LC2) with the same 1000 lumens of the S1R but about 20,000 candela and that sucker will light up the goal post of a football field if you were standing under the other goal post.

To the best of my knowledge almost all flashlights are made with Chinese components most if not all are using Chinese LED emitters; especially in the sub $100 range. I know a lot about flashlights but I'm by no means an expert so if you look hard enough you could find something that is actually 100% made in America but I suspect you'd have to look hard. Most companies design and give the specs to a factory in China to make. If you want 100% made in America you can always get an Overready BOSS flashlight but that will set you back $500. My understanding about the BOSS is that they are the Rolex of flashlights.

And as for the Chinese made lights having shitting runtimes the Zebralight SC63W I carry will put out 1000 lumens for 2.2 hours. It will drop down a bit in that time using a thermal regulation circuit that dims the light when it gets too hot and then steps it back to 1000 when it gets cooler again; it runs brighter for longer outside in the cold than indoors. It will output 300 lumens for 4.3 hours; 60 lumens for 33 hours; 10 lumens for 8 days; 3 lumens for 18 days; 0.3 lumens for 2.8 months; 0.05 lumen for 5 months. Some people actually never turn their Zebralight off; they just leave it in that very low 0.05 lumen mode so they can find it in the dark.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 05-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    *Some sure.

*All tax dollars are US though as many streamlights are berry compliant and have have their HQ in the US.
    Huh?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Huh?
    http://www.streamlight.com/contact-us

Streamlight main HQ is in PA. Olights is in China.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Amendment - in case people have never heard of it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List