Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Olight S1R the best mini EDC light we have to date?

From what I'm seeing, I prefer my Nitecore MT10C. Good forward clicky rear switch, same or better lumens.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Tech advances so quickly that I try not to spend much $ in the flashlight arena buuut I did get the newest Klarus XT1C (700 lumen), Klarus XT2C (1100 lumen), and Streamlight Protac 2L-X (500 lumen).

Immediately, I found the XT1C to be inferior to the XT2C in every way (other than the pocket clip) since my pockets don't care how long my flashlights are until that length surpasses the pocket depth. I carried the XT2C for a while and although I'd rather fight with an XT2C over any other flashlight due to the switchology and brightness, the pocket clip is the worst so my belt ends up activating one of the switches way too often. Burning yourself daily is not fun and battery life suffers as a result. I dropped the XT2C a few times from pocket height and either high or strobe kicked on but I could not get it to turn off with the buttons -had to unscrew the tailcap.

In the end, I prefer the Streamlight 2L-X for EDC. Good battery life with 18650s @ 500 lumens and the deep carry pocket clip hides 99% of the flashlight body. Plus, as an impact weapon, I'd trust the electronics to survive in the Streamlight. The same can't be said for the Klarus. Killer light for $50.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    Is the Olight S1R the best mini EDC light we have to date?
    I think you'll find most here prefer lights that can be used in a more tactical manner, if necessary.

Does that new version still have that glow in the dark stuff around the reflector?

I do find Olight makes good quality lights. I've had one attached to my shotgun for several years. It's not a high round count weapon but the light has received a bit of a thumping without any issues. The part where they (and most other flashlight companies) tend to fail is the interface. Too much emphasis on thirty seven different strobe modes and not enough on figuring out a simple and useful user interface.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Not a fan of olight, very deceitful business practices.
    Can you go into more detail on that? First I've heard of it, would like to know more.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I've carried an M18 striker on duty for 2 years now and never a hitch. It knocks on doors, people, etc. and is still kicking. The 800 lumens is very impressive from such a small package. Puts many larger lights to shame from others I work with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post

Can you go into more detail on that? First I've heard of it, would like to know more.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Posted about it before here, couldn't find the post.

Basically olight has a proven history of approaching high standing/reputation/post count members on forums and bloggers to do paid reviews. They would send them products in return for good reviews and fast reviews.

I was approached a while back and told them to pound sand as they wanted a "full review" in my normal format which they wanted in 6 weeks. I told them it's a minimum of 3 months and they told me no one does that and that was unacceptable. I blocked them after that.

Chinese junk backed with deceitful marketing.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I really like the ThruNite T10 for an EDC light. It's a AA light that takes standard AA, NiMH rechargables (eneloops), or Lion AA's. I prefer AA lights because the dimensions tend to be perfect for EDC. Skinny enough to not be annoying in the pocket, but thick & sturdy enough to use "tactically" if you need to, and the length is just about palm length or a little longer. High mode puts out 252 lumens (double to 500 if you use the Lion's). It's water-proof, has a reversible spring clip so you can clip it to a hat if you want, is a rubberized tail-click, and can tail stand. Oh and it comes with a diffusion cone for room illumination. All for $20 which is good for me because i tend to misplace small objects and would hate to lose a $50+ flashlight... ThruNite has an amazon storefront so you get the comfort of amazon's return policies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

Basically olight has a proven history of approaching high standing/reputation/post count members on forums and bloggers to do paid reviews. They would send them products in return for good reviews and fast reviews.
    Damnit! why did I do it for free!!! Send me some free stuff now olight!
    Last edited by cjb1911; 05-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.

I have no idea about Olight's business practices but do know that I bought a T15 and a T25 in 07 or 08 and they both still work when I pull them out.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    Damnit! why did I do it for free!!! Send me some free stuff now olight!
    Shill!

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

My only experience with olight so far has been with the diminutive single AAA light, the i3s EOS. It's been a great little pocket companion for a year or two. Takes up virtually no space and weighs next to nothing. Not a tactical light but a nicely made, well thought out, and thought of light. And for under $20 it was a no brainer. I have no personal knowledge of the alleged "dark side" of olight's business practices.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List