Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Olight S1R the best mini EDC light we have to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks. I seem to remember considering Malkoff heads or conversions in the past, probably after I dropped a Surefire from roof level while descending a ladder.
    I have a Malkoff drop-in in my Surefire 6z...and their Scout head on my E2e. Other than that, I have four or five of their own lights and all, and I mean all, are excellent. No regrets despite the coin dropped on 'em.
    Last edited by blues; 05-12-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Mind you, I don't actually have any experience with the S1R. But I do own an earlier, 500 lumen version of the same light - or at least similar. This one is called the S10 baton (and don't ask me why...).

I would have to handle one to develop an realistic opinion, but it looks too short, seemingly shorter than the Surefire Back-up, which I find to be at the absolute minimum useful size. (For actual searching/gunfighting*, something the size of the Surefire LX2 is my preferred size.)
    If you're thinking about holding this light like you would most normal flashlights, in a sort of an ice pick grip, forget it. My S10 measures out to be 2.75".

I am wondering how one gets to the desired output mode. I hate working my way through menus, or through a series of button-pushes. I like the simplicity of a bit of pressure for a low out-put, and then a bit more pressure for a high output. If there is a menu, can I select one preferred mode, to be the default out-put at the first push of the button?
    My S10 remembers the last mode it was on, so a short press of the button brings constant on in which ever mode you have selected. A longer press turns the light on in moonlight mode, and further long presses bump up the power one step at a time (low - medium - high). Double-tap on the button when the light is off turns it on in high mode. Double-tap on the button when the light is on turns on the strobe mode (why the hell does this thing even have a "tactical strobe"?). I think there was some way to get an SOS strobe pattern, too, but I can't remember what it is now. There is no momentary-on mode, and like I mentioned earlier there is some sealant or whatever around the reflector that glows in the dark, especially once you've had the light on high.

For a strictly utility light, I actually really like the user interface - especially since in order to get a tiny bit of light, you don't have to nuke your nightvision. But obviously, the S10 is really not well suited for any sort of tactical application.

I tend to break pocket clips, on knives and lights; I am a perfect storm of clumsiness and kinetic energy. I wonder about the clip on this one, though nothing short of a personal long-term trial will prove much of anything.
    Well, I've pretty much only used my light around the house, for pretty light duty, and I broke mine... So no, not the sturdiest of clips.

I prefer the presence of a lanyard attachment, preferably low-profile.
    My S10 actually does have one of those.

Just to point out now a days if you don't have or have not considered a streamlight hl usb you are short changing yourself

I love mine.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Mind you, I don't actually have any experience with the S1R. But I do own an earlier, 500 lumen version of the same light - or at least similar. This one is called the S10 baton (and don't ask me why...).

If you're thinking about holding this light like you would most normal flashlights, in a sort of an ice pick grip, forget it. My S10 measures out to be 2.75".

My S10 remembers the last mode it was on, so a short press of the button brings constant on in which ever mode you have selected. A longer press turns the light on in moonlight mode, and further long presses bump up the power one step at a time (low - medium - high). Double-tap on the button when the light is off turns it on in high mode. Double-tap on the button when the light is on turns on the strobe mode (why the hell does this thing even have a "tactical strobe"?). I think there was some way to get an SOS strobe pattern, too, but I can't remember what it is now. There is no momentary-on mode, and like I mentioned earlier there is some sealant or whatever around the reflector that glows in the dark, especially once you've had the light on high.

For a strictly utility light, I actually really like the user interface - especially since in order to get a tiny bit of light, you don't have to nuke your nightvision. But obviously, the S10 is really not well suited for any sort of tactical application.

Well, I've pretty much only used my light around the house, for pretty light duty, and I broke mine... So no, not the sturdiest of clips.

My S10 actually does have one of those.
    Thanks. I use several gripping methods, depending upon the size of the light, and the circumstances. With the tiny Surefire Back-Up, I generally default to an ice-pick-ish grip. I prefer a light that lets me use my several variants of the cigar/syringe/Rogers grip. My favorite, for my hands, is the Surefire LX2. I wish it had not been discontinued, and will be need to be more careful not to lose the ones I have. (I have two of the LX2, for certain, and have managed to lose or misplace two of them, which I hope to find.)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Just to point out now a days if you don't have or have not considered a streamlight hl usb you are short changing yourself

I love mine.
    I will admit I haven't looked much at Streamlights but I checked that one out and it's only rated at 1m of drop. That's not so good for a $100 light that is supposed to be "tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I will admit I haven't looked much at Streamlights but I checked that one out and it's only rated at 1m of drop. That's not so good for a $100 light that is supposed to be "tactical"
    So what's a good drop rating?

Do you make a regular habit of dropping flashlights from rooftops?

Another good example of people not understanding what practical application vs specs really means.

I think my duty stinger DS HL led is 1m drop tested and I've done things to that light no normal use would see in ten years. Still works no issues. Only 1m drop rating. Must be a fluke right?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So what's a good drop rating?

Do you make a regular habit of dropping flashlights from rooftops?

Another good example of people not understanding what practical application vs specs really means.

I think my duty stinger DS HL led is 1m drop tested and I've done things to that light no normal use would see in ten years. Still works no issues. Only 1m drop rating. Must be a fluke right?
    No I don't really make a habit of dropping lights in general. I carry a light that hasn't even been drop tested to my knowledge and it doesn't bother me at all. I honestly don't know what is a good drop rating I just know 1m seems low for a "tactical" light in that price range; I've seen lights with 10m drop ratings for about that price. It's an ANSI FL-1 spec with specific guide lines. It carries only as much weight as you'd like to give it.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 05-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Tried one of the up and coming brands about seven years ago, Fenix I think, and it died within six months. Didn't bother sending it back, just tossed it. Flashlights, of all things, are one thing that I've never bothered chasing the better mousetrap. Surefire X300's, Fury, Mini-Scouts, E1B & EB1, and a pair of Maratac AA's continue to give me good, reliable service..

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Tried one of the up and coming brands about seven years ago, Fenix I think, and it died within six months. Didn't bother sending it back, just tossed it. Flashlights, of all things, are one thing that I've never bothered chasing the better mousetrap. Surefire X300's, Fury, Mini-Scouts, E1B & EB1, and a pair of Maratac AA's continue to give me good, reliable service..
    The step up to 500 lumens was a pretty big one but based on your list, I wouldn't bother for a long time either.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I have no use for multi-mode outputs in EDC or tac lights. I use same tail cap switch interface, Furys and ProTac 1AAs. ProTacs have 10-tap set for hi/off only. Lost an E1B in a foot pursuit, never found it and didn't like the hi/lo/off modes anyway.

I bought a Chinese JetBeam M1X + cell extender from the first shipment, I think 2009. I used it on evening/night shift for about 3 years, excellent fit in ASP breakaway holster. Only Olight made a comparable power model, Surefire was years later. Only game in town.

Awesome with window tint on traffic stops, coming from day bright to dark building, search 100k capacity football stadium seating from one spot, illum woods across fields and length of a creek, etc. Wasn't too heavy to Harries. Even used a pair of the plastic VTAC 1" light mounts inline on a railed carbine one night. Sweet.

Bought a spare tail switch as I suspected that would be a weak point. Well, that M1X is still going strong on the original switch. I think the brightness is down 20% from original though.

Chinese headlamps...

I work in a physical security field now, everything from programming to commercial construction. The Zebralight HC63W quoted earlier is my hands down favorite, especially with diffuser. But expensive if lost or stolen. I'm on #3 right now and it stays in my running Kit Bag with Eneloops. The warm color temp is great for night running, greatly preferred to cold/blue lights.

For work I use JetBeam H10As on my hard hat. Infinite output adjustability is a great feature (same as Zebra). Up/down angle is simple friction fit in silicone holder, easy to get light right where you want it.
    Remove it from headband and tail stand with the horizontal beam. Magnetic tail cap is nice. So's the price. Only use lithium batts due to temp extremes.

I work on ladders and cause lights to fall all the time, anywhere from 3-10' average. Have yet to kill any of the above lights, but I did kill a AA battery with a drop... weird.

User Tag List