Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the better overall .22lr small revolver

Looking for the better overall .22lr small revolver

So I'm looking for a compact, ultra light revolver in .22lr with an exposed hammer. My plan is to use it for lots of range shooting, throw it in the pack as a snake gun, and use it as an ultra light jogging gun(yes, I know the limitations of the .22 for self defense). I'm leaning towards the S&W 317 Kit Gun, but it looks like Ruger has a new LCRx....although it seems more bulky. Any suggestions?
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Some good stuff here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....er-DA-revolver

The 317 is probably what you are describing. I did handle the LCRx recently and it is nice and a bit less $.

Kit gun is kind of wispy, I sold mine but retain my Mother's as an heirloom.

Wish they made an Airweight K22.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The Ruger SP101 .22LR looks interesting. Looks kinda like the SS version of the S&W Kit Gun, but it is a larger frame.
    Last edited by Irelander; 05-11-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    I had a 317LS once - the trigger was awful. It was good as a finger strength exerciser though. Ditched it. Don't know if the new SW snubbies are better. Some p-f folks shoot them. See the past threads as suggested.

Site Supporter
    S&w 642. If you really want a .22 look at a semi auto

"Ultra light jogging gun", and " Lots of shooting at the range gun" might be a tall order in the same handgun, without some compromise somewhere.

For an ultralight jogging type gun, I would look at a Beretta Model 21 Bobcat semi Auto, which is 11 or 12 ounces.

I had a Beretta model 21, but sold it. These pistols don't have an extractor. Blowback from firing cycles the slide and extracts the round. Mine was pretty reliable, but trying to extract a live round with my fingernail was annoying. Plus, the sights are terrible.

I have a 3 inch S&W 317, and it's a better pistol. For one thing, if a round fails to light, you just pull the trigger again for a new round. The DA pull is very stiff, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    For one thing, if a round fails to light, you just pull the trigger again for a new round.
    That's one of the reasons why I would prefer to use a revolver with a rimfire cartridge. I might have to see if I can locate a 317 at a shot to give it a try. Thanks for all the imput.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wish they made an Airweight K22.
    I would be on an AirLite K...call it a 318...like white on rice.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List