Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-year anniversary & questions on Grip/Trigger Control?

1-year anniversary & questions on Grip/Trigger Control?

Okay, it has been a while... Due to work and other priorities, haven't had the chance to participate, or at least even lurk around the different forums.

Anyways, it has been about 1-year and 2-days since I FIRST got into firearms, and as a gift to myself, I got a Glock 34 Gen 3, which I just broke out of jail yesterday.

Here is 50-rounds plinking at 7-yards:

And here were my groups a year back with the Glock 22.

That said - have an inquiry on the recommended grip for better accuracy and follow-up shots... Have heard a lot:

1. C-clamp grip
    2. 100% full hard grip from both hands, ie., don't let the tail (the trigger finger) wag the dog (the gun)
    3. Support hand, with wrists locked, is responsible for recoil management as well as locking the pistol in place
    4. Push-pull tension (even in the Isosceles stance) as opposed to both push

The primary reason I'm asking is I'm having problems with my shots under speed or stress, ie., when cold (no warm-up), from a draw, etc! My guess is that it has to do with my trigger finger (the typical pushing down-left).

I dry practice trigger control 3x/week for several months now; but then, I still can't become consistent. Some have recommended that for the Glock, instead of using the center of the pad to have it closer to the joint.

It's essentially driving me nuts, and any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-10-2017 at 12:09 PM.

It's not your trigger finger. Trigger finger placement only matters, IMHO, in the respect of if you're pushing against the frame during your trigger press. As long as how you're pressing the trigger NATURALLY doesn't involve pushing against the frame of the gun in any way, you're good. It sounds like you're getting into your own head when you're TRYING to move faster and from the holster. Just relax and go with the flow. All you're doing by drawing from the holster and trying to go faster is adding an action and, well, advancing the speed in which you're doing things at a slower pace.

1.) Grip the gun hard.
    2.) Press the trigger without disturbing the sights.
    3.) Don't pin the trigger to the rear.

Start out slow. Record the time it takes for you to draw, get on target, and take 1 shot naturally. That's your new par time. Your goal is to now consistently do a little bit better than that par time. And don't pin the trigger to the rear. Ever. Let the trigger reset during recoil and prep for the next shot. In dry fire my trigger finger presses the trigger and then either comes back to register or continues to press the trigger for successive dry fire shots.

Thanks!!!

I guess it's back to Fundamentals - "empty cartridge on top of the front sight" dry practice.

Just a question though: during dry fire, since the trigger doesn't reset until I rack the slide (it's a Glock) - once the trigger breaks, I just relax the trigger finger with near-zero pressure, ie., just resting lightly on the pulled trigger.

Is this the right way or working on when you said "don't pin the trigger to the rear"...?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    Thanks!!!

I guess it's back to Fundamentals - "empty cartridge on top of the front sight" dry practice.

Just a question though: during dry fire, since the trigger doesn't reset until I rack the slide (it's a Glock) - once the trigger breaks, I just relax the trigger finger with near-zero pressure, ie., just resting lightly on the pulled trigger.

Is this the right way or working on when you said "don't pin the trigger to the rear"...?

Thanks,
    Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Read the following linked thread. ENTIRELY. Then we'll talk.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=fire

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Read the following linked thread. ENTIRELY. Then we'll talk.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=fire

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Thank you Sir!

I have exported the thread to PDF. Will be reading it during my commute (I take the local metro).

_

What size glove do you wear?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    What size glove do you wear?

I wear LARGE with a Mechanix Wear Covert gloves: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019IC65O/

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    Sorry, it's a more useful way of asking "how big are your hands." A lot of people with the issue you described have smaller hands.

Frankly, that's some pretty fine shootin' I'd say. Keep up the dry fire, mix it up some (from draw, moving, using par timer as much as possible. I use a programmable app on my phone). Increase your distance by a few yards out to 25 or 30.

Also, you don't have to rack the slide completely, as I learned on this here forum; just back enough to re-cock, maybe quarter or half an inch will do it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 05-15-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Watching your video, it would appear your fundamentals are in pretty good shape. It looks like the dryfire work has been paying off. Congrats. I wouldn't recommend monkeying with the mechanics of your press too much at this point; it appears you're doing a pretty good job pressing the trigger straight to the rear. Probably time to extend the range a bit and see how it shakes out there.

On the speed front, I might start to play with increasing the pace at which you're actually pressing the trigger and continue to monitor the effects on the front sight as you do. Pressing the trigger straight to the rear quickly without things going awry is the mark of a higher level skill set. Gabe has a Drill of the Week called "Jerk the Trigger" which might provide a bit of an end goal for you in that regard. It's a good one.

Regarding your grip, I'm not seeing anything that points to a significant problem. It looks like the pistol is cycling pretty flat and you appear to be controlling it pretty well. As you begin shooting at a faster pace, you'll need to continue monitoring, but at the speed you're shooting, things look good IMO. Going forward, remember that the goal is consistency, such that your front sight returns to the place it left from repeatably.

Kudos to you for your diligent work.

User Tag List