Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling sans SS pins, with near SS pins results!

I wet tumbled with SS media and the tried it without the SS pins. Much better without pins to recover. Less overhead than dry vibrattion with corn cob media and I clean more brass in one batch.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If your cases are getting a pink hue, you're using too much citiric acid.
    No pink hue, but if you are getting good results with 1/8 of a teaspoon of the citric acid I have been wasting a bunch of it. I poured the bulk back into the Lemishine bottle, and have just been using "some", but it has been way more than you are. Getting good results, but I can probably back off significantly.

And if a guy is going to skip the pins anyway, the HF looks like an option. I think they should offer a FART option without the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    No pink hue, but if you are getting good results with 1/8 of a teaspoon of the citric acid I have been wasting a bunch of it. I poured the bulk back into the Lemishine bottle, and have just been using "some", but it has been way more than you are. Getting good results, but I can probably back off significantly.

And if a guy is going to skip the pins anyway, the HF looks like an option. I think they should offer a FART option without the pins.
    I really need to build a single, large, PVC drum for my HF. The dual drums are annoying
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If your cases are getting a pink hue, you're using too much citiric acid.

I like the HF tumbler and note that HF is having a sale this weekend. The HF is not a FART but is the FART worth two HFs? Only you can answer the last.
    Thanks for the heads up. I see they are running a 25% off sale on Monday for a single item. I have one not too far from me.

Do you recommend the double one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I see they are running a 25% off sale on Monday for a single item. I have one not too far from me.

Do you recommend the double one?

#RESIST

Took the plunge and picked up the harbor freight dual tumbler on sale for $40 today.

It may be a bit before I get a dehydrator so in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations on alternative drying methods?

I see someone said they just set them on a towel. I'll go with that unless someone has another suggestion.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Took the plunge and picked up the harbor freight dual tumbler on sale for $40 today.

It may be a bit before I get a dehydrator so in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations on alternative drying methods?

I see someone said they just set them on a towel. I'll go with that unless someone has another suggestion.

That was me.

I pour them on a towel, kinda form sort of a tube out of the towel, grab the ends and hold to apart end to end, and roll the cases back and forth a few times. Then I make sure they are all tipped over on their sides.

In a few days they will be ready, depending on local humidity. I grab one and push out a primers to check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Towel dry and shake out as much water as possible. Spread out. Any form of air movement or heat will accelerate the drying process (fan, heat lamp, sunlight).

Maybe in oven on lowest heat possible with door cracked open to let moisture escape - do not overdo.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I found a toaster oven with a cracked door to be too much, fyi

I see someone said they just set them on a towel.
    To elaborate on this a bit more, I used to have one of the old style RCBS wet tumblers and that was before you could get a dehydrator for $50. All I ever did was lay them flat on a towel (and all I will probably continue to do, but I have my dry machine to fall back on). It takes a few days, and eventually you will probably want a dryer, but as someone who has accumulated a lotta reloading equipment I sure didn't buy it all at the same time. The wet process is so fast you can cycle a lot of cases through the tumbler in an evening, you will just have to remember to do it a few days in advance.

One thing I wanted to mention as an option is they dry out probably overnight without the primers. I have a Lee decap die that is cheap (and handy), or maybe use a size die for a larger cartridge. This is not something you are going to want to do all the time, just an option for "Crap, I forgot to tumble and I need to load 150 rounds tomorrow" kinda situation.

User Tag List