Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling sans SS pins, with near SS pins results!

Good idea about not rinsing after a second pass with Armor-All.

It looks like I have been using Waaaaaaaay toooooooo muuuuuuuch citric acid, though no pink cases.

I have enough cases that I am usually not in a hurry, I just lay them all flat on a towel on the basement floor, and they are dry in a few days. Overnight is good if the primers are out. YMMV.

The pins are a huge PITA, but rock if you get some nasty cases. I like having them, but may never use them again after doing the cruddy 9mm cases that helped nudge me into getting a F.A.R.T.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

It looks like I have been using Waaaaaaaay toooooooo muuuuuuuch citric acid, though no pink cases.

I have enough cases that I am usually not in a hurry, I just lay them all flat on a towel on the basement floor, and they are dry in a few days. Overnight is good if the primers are out. YMMV.

The pins are a huge PITA, but rock if you get some nasty cases. I like having them, but may never use them again after doing the cruddy 9mm cases that helped nudge me into getting a F.A.R.T.

I pick up some nasty, nasty cases, and the pins do make a huge difference for them.

I bought the high end Frankfort media separator for about $40, and it's taken care of the pin separation for me.

I dump straight from the FART to the separator, no rinsing. Spin a minute one direction, and a minute in the opposite direction. The dirty water from the fart and the soap has enough surface tension to get the pins to come out without a problem.

If you want to rinse, simply undo the 'latches' for the top portion, and rotate it under the basket, then dump the basket into the top. It has a mesh screen in the middle, and a little bit of water and shaking does a great job. I haven't found a pin in a case or the top since going to this method.

Time is less than dry tumbling still, and effort is about the same as dry tumbling.

For non-nasty cases, or stuff I won't be selling, I do it without pins, and use the separator to get more water out of the cases for faster drying in the dehumidifier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I pick up some nasty, nasty cases, and the pins do make a huge difference for them.
    I bought the high end Frankfort media separator for about $40, and it's taken care of the pin separation for me.
    I dump straight from the FART to the separator, no rinsing.
    I bought my FART specifically for a bunch of really nasty 9mm cases I thought I got a good deal on.
    I had the Dillon separator and it does a great job separating, but separating the pins from the water in the PITA, IMO. I can buy the magnet, and probably will, but am probably not going to use them that much so I have not yet.
    I didn't think about not rinsing.

I related news, last night I used the Armor All for washing the cars, works pretty well for that also...

Site Supporter
    The trick is make sure there's a water level in the seperator that the brass is doing into while turning.

If you're spinning in a dry tumbler, there's no water surface tension to let the pins come loose from the brass.

https://youtu.be/_4xViGuvT_0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

Just saying, have you tried the method detailed in the first post? I've used it with success on nasty cases.
    #RESIST

Wet tumbling sans SS pins, with near SS pins results!

I'm beginning to be really frustrated with the mess dry tumbling is creating. Those little pieces of media get everywhere and I'm always cleaning my press to keep it running.

I'm going to take the plunge and get a wet tumbler. What's the best bang for the buck? The FART? What all do I need?

Last edited by JCS; 05-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I'm beginning to be really frustrated with the mess dry tumbling is creating. Those little pieces of media get everywhere and I'm always cleaning my press to keep it running.

I'm going to take the plunge and get a wet tumbler. What's the best bang for the buck? The FART? What all do I need?

The mess/dust is why I went wet.

What's best value depends on your volume.

LL has the Harbor Freight Tumbler that does a few hundred rounds of 9 (I think) - $50

I have the FART. 2,000 rounds of 9 - $140

GuanoLoco rocks a large cement mixer that holds MANY thousands of rounds. About $300

LL links what you'll need above. Tumbler, acid, soap, dryer. Skip the pins imho.

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    The mess/dust is why I went wet.

What's best value depends on your volume.

LL has the Harbor Freight Tumbler that does a few hundred rounds of 9 (I think) - $50

I have the FART. 2,000 rounds of 9 - $140

GuanoLoco rocks a large cement mixer that holds MANY thousands of rounds. About $300

LL links what you'll need above. Tumbler, acid, soap, dryer. Skip the pins imho.

I can do a 5 gallon bucket of brass at a time, maybe 9000 9mm cases. Good thing, because I just scored 11 buckets, plus a friend brought me a gift of a bucket of 9 and a bucket of 40, plus there is a 7 gal bucket of mixed brass I've been accumulating, plus maybe a half dozen gallon bags of sorted brass.

I see a brass cleaning party in my future - as soon as I get my mixer and dryers back from a friend and get some job stuff behind me.

Use CamelCamelCamel to watch for FART deals on Amazon, plus other places run specials onm it. I've seen it down as low as $100. I've seen the cement mixer I use as low as $230. Armpor all wash-n-wax and bulk citric acid off Amazon are cost effective.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Just saying, have you tried the method detailed in the first post? I've used it with success on nasty cases.
    Not precisely yet, I like your idea of the second pass with no rince and plan to try that next time.

I have been getting great results without the pins, but I think I have been using/wasting too much of the bulk citric acid.

Really glad I went back to wet, and the pins, IMO, are overkill in most cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If your cases are getting a pink hue, you're using too much citiric acid.

I like the HF tumbler and note that HF is having a sale this weekend. The HF is not a FART but is the FART worth two HFs? Only you can answer the last.
    #RESIST

User Tag List