Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling sans SS pins, with near SS pins results!

I have wet tumbled for the past 5 years. Old lortone 12lb rock tumbler bought used off ebay. Original 5 lb SS pins. 1 teaspoon lemishine, few drop of dawn and tumble or about 90min to 2hrs. rinse till clear in sink. Separate in Dillon separater. Do this on a black sheet to easily locate runaway pins. spread out in sun for a couple of hours or put in a wire basket and dry in oven for an hour at 200 degrees. Shiny, clean brass and other than lemishine haven't had to buy anything else in 5 years. Completely satisfied with results

Quote Originally Posted by chances R View Post
    I have wet tumbled for the past 5 years. Old lortone 12lb rock tumbler bought used off ebay. Original 5 lb SS pins. 1 teaspoon lemishine, few drop of dawn and tumble or about 90min to 2hrs. rinse till clear in sink. Separate in Dillon separater. Do this on a black sheet to easily locate runaway pins. spread out in sun for a couple of hours or put in a wire basket and dry in oven for an hour at 200 degrees. Shiny, clean brass and other than lemishine haven't had to buy anything else in 5 years. Completely satisfied with results
    The process detailed in this thread is easier.
    #RESIST

Easier , maybe a little. Prettier, nope? As you mentioned it is a hobby, but life is too short to shoot dull ammo. I enjoy producing quality rounds in reliable function and appearance. Really not that much more work. To each their own.

Agree . And the OP did mention the duller finish. Just pointing out why I prefer pins. Different ways to skin the cat appreciated.

This is very similar to my process except I've been using ceramic media instead of SS pins. I use the oven at 200 degrees, but only for 1/2 hour. My neighbor dries his in the sun. I've done a couple of batches without the media. Cleans the brass, but not as shiny as others have noted.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-08-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Agree . And the OP did mention the duller finish. Just pointing out why I prefer pins. Different ways to skin the cat appreciated.
    "Duller" is subjective.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

My purpose in reloading is to have safe, precise, less expensive ammo with minimum trouble and time. As long the brass is clean enough to meet those goals, that is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    My purpose in reloading is to have safe, precise, less expensive ammo with minimum trouble and time. As long the brass is clean enough to meet those goals, that is good enough for me.
    Same here. Eliminating the pins saved me time and met my goals.
    #RESIST

And in another forum a fellow near where I am simply washes his in car wash liquid/suds, rinses and drys. Simply having clean brass without foreign material to mess up your dies or scratch up the brass is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Duller" is subjective.
    Yeah, retrospectively the thread name may be a bit misleading. If I am running once fired brass I shot and picked up it looks the same without the pins. If it is really grungy the pins make it look like it was never grungy.

User Tag List