Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to increase pistol shooting speed

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    How would one speed up transitions?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    A transition drill that Brian Enos prescribes, from his forum, is as follows:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.ph...drill-part-1/&

“Transition Drill Part 1

Set up 3 USPSA/IPSC targets at 10 yards, about a yard a apart, edge to edge. You'll score the string as "Time Plus." On the buzzer draw and shoot one shot at each target - left to right, then repeat left to right, then repeat again left to right - for a total of 9 shots for the string. Check your time, add .5 second for each "non-A," and note your score. You don't really care about your score that much, just remember it for later. Shoot 6 - 10 strings, to establish an average score. While you're establishing your average - you're just shooting like you normally would. Don't try any new tricks or anything at all. In the end just know your average score for the drill.

Transition Drill Part 2

Set up the drill, the same as before. But this time, instead of shooting for score - shoot the drill with a visual goal.

You don't care about your score, draw speed, or anything - but the visual goal.

Before shooting, dry fire the drill with the visual goal in mind: The goal is to remember seeing the outline of the A-box of each upcoming target BEFORE you see your sights appear in the A-box.

(Since targets #2 and #3 are not very far apart, you will really have to snap your eyes to the next A-box in order to actually see it before your sights are there. It's easy, on these types of targets, to just kind of lazily "bring the gun along" to each target, instead of driving it there with your eyes.)

Back to dry firing. You're in your start position and you're looking right at the first A-box. Draw (you can use a buzzer if you want) and be aware of seeing your sights or "the top of the gun" as they come into the A-box. As soon as you've seen that - find the next target's A-box! Right after your eyes lock onto it, you should then see your sights as they come into it. Again, as soon as you see that - find the next target's A-box. As soon as you see your sights come into the A-box - find target #1's A-box!

For every target - see the A-box, then the sights in it. If you ever remember that you didn't see that, or if you do remember seeing your sights AND the A-box at the same time - you didn't do it properly.

For targets #2 and #3, if you weren't able to clearly see the A-box BEFORE your sights got to it - you should at least be able so see "like that" for target #1. (Because of the wider transition.)

Keep dry firing the sequence until you clearly know "how it feels to see the target BEFORE the sights" - for each target in the 9-shot string.

Now, with the visual goal in mind at all times, load up and shoot the string several times. For each string, note not only your score (+.5 second for every shot outside the A-box), but remember how it felt to see each target in the string. e.g., See the targets "outside" of the sights.

It might also "feel easier" to shoot the drill with a visual goal instead a score goal.

Deliberately starting and finishing one thing at time is a good way to do something. Seeing the A-box first is "starting," and seeing your sights arrive in the A-box is "finishing." A-box, sights; A-box, sights; A-box, sights; over and over…

Stick with it,

Brian”
    Last edited by Duckysattva; 05-11-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: link to source added
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Here you go. Run this exercise until you beat these times consistently with all hits. Honestly if the steel was only A-zone size the time would likely be higher. (second run Frank gives his splits)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Here you go. Run this exercise until you beat these times consistently with all hits. Honestly if the steel was only A-zone size the time would likely be higher. (second run Frank gives his splits)
    I'd love to if I had access to an outdoor range like that with that much steel.

Wonder what is up with the 1.80-1.90 draw?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not his focus, wants to start off clean and focus on hitting/splits/transitions.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Not his focus, wants to start off clean and focus on hitting/splits/transitions.
    Then why did he comment about improving the draw time -- I would have been less distracted if he started with the pistol in his hand in a ready position.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

How would one speed up transitions?

Here are three drills that I really, really like to work target transitions. I like my dry drills because they don't take ammo. The Blake Drill is really, really powerful to work on transitions in live fire.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Transitions-1

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Transitions-2

http://www.benstoeger.com/index.php/...88-blake-drill
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I've shot a couple matches with frank and I have never ever seen anyone with faster transitions. He can't shoot fast but his transisioms are incredible.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Whoa!

Light bulb moment with respect to lightening the strong hand grip while crushing grip with the off hand and it's effect on speed!

I've been working on balancing my grip on the draw as I have a tendency to push the first round left out of the holster. I was concentrating on a crushing grip from both hands and didn't realize what an effect such a strong grip hand on my ability to work the trigger at speed.

Just left the range where I concentrated on the crushing g off hand grip and lighter strong hand and not only was my first round from the holster at speed consistently on target but my splits were noticeably faster.

It's gonna take a lot of reps for this grip to feel natural, but wow!

While we have as many "check out my shiney new widget" threads as any forum, it's threads and content like this one that make pistol forum such a good resource.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Depends on his baseline I suppose. I get around 2.10 if I have missed a week and by the end of my session I am around 1.85 with the odd lottery winning 1.65 thrown in to cheer me up.

One of the things that I've needed to work on for some time now is being able to shoot faster. I went to the range yesterday and actually had the opportunity to put myself on a timer. I ran some bill drills and discovered and my average split times, going as fast as I possibly can right now, hovers right around 0.26s. If I go at the speed where I an guarantee A zone hits at 7 yards I'm looking at closer to 0.30s splits. My perception of this is that I am S L O W. What are some methods, tips, tricks, drills, and changes that I can use/make to increase that speed?
    There is nothing wrong with .26, mate.

Have a read up on human reaction time and you will find that it is between .15 and .30. For shooters it averages around the .25 mark, I will share who told me that in a moment.

You need to split reaction down into receiving the stimuli informing you to do something and then actually doing it. That breaks the times down to .075 + .075 = .15'ish and .15 + .15 = .30'ish.......or, for shooters around the .125 + .125 = .25'ish mark. So you can see that your .26 is very, very, respectable.

In practical terms that means if you are doing a Bill Drill starting at the low ready, 6 to the body and one to the head it should look something like:

1. Low ready to first body shot = reaction to timer move to body area .25 + reaction to requirement to shoot .25 = total time to first shot .5'ish
    2. Each subsequent body shot .25
    3. Move to final head shot .25 + final head shot .25 = .5

You will have good days and times may come down a smidge, you will have bad days and times will go up. Build your drills and set times around each target transition and shot requiring .25, not the draw though as that is a different matter and pistol holster juggling is difficult to time and needs practice, lots of it.

Bill Rogers has studied, dissected, analysed and implemented reaction time as the basis for his shooting schools teaching and training. Bill trains gunfighters. He has trained many, many, professionals at the highest level and started the school as a happy accident at the behest of ST6. If you need to test your ability I would point you at him, and it is Bill who will tell you that .25 is around benchmark for shooters and he has been observing and measuring that for over 30 years.

Watch ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDiKda0PHA

.Anyway, I'm off to San Francisco for the next week now.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 05-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.

User Tag List