Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real world, real use pistol "torture" test

Real world, real use pistol "torture" test

I have watched with interest some of the many pistol torture tests one can view on youtube. There are some, IMO, valid test points but most seem just unrealistic in real world use. Water tests are valid, we live in a mostly water filled world. Dust, yes, leave anything around long enough and atmospheric dust will coat it. Out in the field water and dust would be an issue.
    But it seems to me that covering it in mud or sand isn't something that a pistol would normally have to face in field use. A soldier or police officer may encounter deep mud but will avoid it if possible and probably do their level best not to allow their weapon to be separated from them covered in mud, it would probably be lost.
    Would not a more realistic test be something like:
    The 2000 round test as outlined in PF.
    Hard use jostling, bumps, blows and dropping.
    Carried in blowing, dusty environment.
    Subject to moisture and loss of lube.
    Overall neglect over a set period of time.
    Run hard over a short period of time, heat build up, lube burned off then put back in a holster to face further neglect.

Just my opinion.

The only extreme weather or circumstances I've ever had to clean out of my duty gun were heavy rain, snow and mud. Each time the gun was operable but extremely dirty.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

When I think of this, I can't help but think your criteria reflect the last almost 20 years of conflict the US has been in. There was some, discussion from Wayne Dobbs and SLG about firearms they've seen in use in these environments whether through teaching or personal use. If I recall correctly, they discussed some of the firearms and their performance. I think it was in the Glock ejection thread...IIRC.

I would also add the dynamics involved in maintenance, i.e. ease of user level maintenance and availability of parts etc. That seems to be an often overlooked part of reliability tests at least ina long term sense.

William Petty posted this photo a few days ago of his duty gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    While I like to read through the "2,000 round test" thread, I don't necessarily find that realistic either, though a valid data point. I can't imagine where I'd be that I'd run through 2,000 rounds of ammo and not have any lube for the gun. Heck, even when I imagine finding myself in a shootout in the Winchester/Olin factory, I suspect I'd find enough lube laying around to keep up with lubrication.
    Last edited by JTQ; 05-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.

The most extreme my real world conditions get is dusty.

In the summer and fall I usually end up on an open cab tractor and dozer for a few weeks and dust gets everywhere. It's never caused me a stoppage, but it has gotten Glock triggers to get heavy and gritty. 1911s have proven better than the Glocks in the extreme dust, but the lighter weight keeps me carrying Glock these days.

Rust Test

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have watched with interest some of the many pistol torture tests one can view on youtube. There are some, IMO, valid test points but most seem just unrealistic in real world use. Water tests are valid, we live in a mostly water filled world. Dust, yes, leave anything around long enough and atmospheric dust will coat it. Out in the field water and dust would be an issue.
    But it seems to me that covering it in mud or sand isn't something that a pistol would normally have to face in field use. A soldier or police officer may encounter deep mud but will avoid it if possible and probably do their level best not to allow their weapon to be separated from them covered in mud, it would probably be lost.
    Hard use jostling, bumps, blows and dropping.
    Carried in blowing, dusty environment.
    Subject to moisture and loss of lube.
    Overall neglect over a set period of time.
    Run hard over a short period of time, heat build up, lube burned off then put back in a holster to face further neglect.
    Just my opinion.
    What would really interest me would be a long term rust test on Glocks and I say that because its the most widely issued firearm in the United States if not the world. I have interest in how rust resistant firearms are. I was issued a taurus 82 stainless revolver when I worked armored cars when it wasnt on my hip it was secured in the trunk of my car. This thing was beat up when I got it and I abused it even more it was rained on sweated on you name it and spent most of its life in a leather holster. This went on for 3 years and besides a few specks that developed towards my last 6 months on the job it didnt rust. What boggles my mind is you have a gun like a glock that has a nitride treatment and somehow these things are rusting. I see people posting pics online and I dont understand how they are getting them to rust. If I bought a new Glock and didnt put lube on it besides the lubrication points would it rust?

Quote Originally Posted by KyNate View Post
    What would really interest me would be a long term rust test on Glocks and I say that because its the most widely issued firearm in the United States if not the world. I have interest in how rust resistant firearms are. I was issued a taurus 82 stainless revolver when I worked armored cars when it wasnt on my hip it was secured in the trunk of my car. This thing was beat up when I got it and I abused it even more it was rained on sweated on you name it and spent most of its life in a leather holster. This went on for 3 years and besides a few specks that developed towards my last 6 months on the job it didnt rust. What boggles my mind is you have a gun like a glock that has a nitride treatment and somehow these things are rusting. I see people posting pics online and I dont understand how they are getting them to rust. If I bought a new Glock and didnt put lube on it besides the lubrication points would it rust?
    All I can say is that I carried Glocks from 1988 to 2004 in South FL while living on a barrier island and working in and around city streets, mangrove swamps, beaches and seagoing vessels etc and never had the least issue with rust on my G19 nor my G26.

If the new Glocks are inferior in this respect I suppose I'll find out over the next few years since I purchased a new G17 a couple months back.
    Last edited by blues; 05-10-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

almost all large manufacturers conduct their own torture tests, and many pistols have been tested to death by various police and military organizations. i see no need, and don't have the budget to duplicate these tests. so why not rely on tested pistols? same applies to ammo. the FBI has tested lots of ammo. that works for me.

I had a Gen2 23 that rusted on the slide. Only pistol I ever got to rust that wasn't blued.

User Tag List