Thread: Police Positive in .38 Special, made in 1928

Police Positive in .38 Special, made in 1928

Found this old (1928) Police Positive in .38 Special today. Looks like it has sat in a dresser draw for the last 69 years. (Photo a little washed out from the light reflection.)

(Different angle)

Dealer thought this was a .38 Long Colt or something until I pointed out this marking on the barrel.

This is really nice. Don't know if I will have enough nerve to actually shoot it.

(Guess my new "Cobra" will have to wait.)

Trooper Joe

Beautiful! Shoot it at least a few times, won't harm anything...

Oh, you have to shoot it. Wadcutters, strong hand only, your choice of combat crouch or bullseye stance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Nice! Grips should be black gutta percha for a 20's era gun, but beautiful just the same.

Edit: My bad, 1923 is the cutoff for black rubber grips.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-09-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Nice! Grips should be black gutta percha for a 20's era gun, but beautiful just the same.

Edit: My bad, 1923 is the cutoff for black rubber grips.
    Most of the information I found on the web, says that 1928' (second change) was the first year for the wooden grips. !927 and earlier (first issue) had rubber grips.

..."(Colt Police Positive Special - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    The first issue ran from introduction to 1927 and had the early 1900-era distinctive Colt black hard rubber grips. The second issue introduced wooden grips which were smooth in the early years, later giving way to a checkered style, also the smooth top strap was replaced with a serrated one to reduce glare."...

I plan on doing further research. Thanks for the information.

Trooper Joe

Awesome piece. Use in good health!

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Oh, you have to shoot it. Wadcutters, strong hand only, your choice of combat crouch or bullseye stance.
    I vote for fedora, shirt and tie, bladed with off hand in pants pocket.
    Last edited by peterb; 05-10-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    Found this old (1928) Police Positive in .38 Special today. Looks like it has sat in a dresser draw for the last 69 years. (Photo a little washed out from the light reflection.)

(Different angle)

Dealer thought this was a .38 Long Colt or something until I pointed out this marking on the barrel.

This is really nice. Don't know if I will have enough nerve to actually shoot it.

(Guess my new "Cobra" will have to wait.)

Trooper Joe
    Nice Colt. I believe this model was the first revolver the FBI issued in the early '30s. We have a 5" barreled one in our safe that was recovered on an eviction that is in the same condition as yours. Unfortunately, it will eventually be sent to the smelter...would love to be able to buy it.

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  76.8 KB

From "The art of handgun shooting", Atkins, 1939
    Last edited by peterb; 05-10-2017 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Trying to get the photo upright.......

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn! He can shoot upside down!!

User Tag List