Thread: Langdon Tactical Pistol Skills - Oklahoma City - 06-07 May, 2017

Langdon Tactical Pistol Skills - Oklahoma City - 06-07 May, 2017

AAR - Langdon Tactical Pistol Skills Class Oklahoma City Gun Club, 06-07, May 2017

Personal Background and other minutiae - Many firsts here for me. First class with a nationally recognized instructor, first time shooting outside, first time shooting steel and first time shooting in front of arguably a legend. I'm late 50's, semi-retired, no shooting experience until last July when I got my LTC (Texas License to Carry). Plenty of practice since then. Shout out to Boyert's in Katy, TX. I shoot PX4's. I got the full size in July and recently, two Compact Carry - my carry gun - duh! Somehow came across Ernest doing research on TDA's and started watching his videos and seeing his posts here on PF. That's why I wanted my first class to be with him. Decided in January to sign up for this course and doubled down on my live and dry fire practice because I didn't want to be "that guy."
    (Please excuse the references to ".mov" or ".jpg" as those are for me to refer to video I shot)

DAY 1

Introductions - Ernest introduced himself and gave his background - his bio is beyond impressive!

Participant introductions - Name, where from, occupation, firearm - we had mostly people from the OKC area, a couple of guys from Shreveport and me from outside of Houston. Occupations ranged from retired military or LE to doctor to active Homeland Security to lawyer to blue collar. Wide range of ages I'm guessing from mid 20's to late 60's. Mean age was probably upper 40's. 14 male, 2 female. One female is a retired Lt.Col. from the army. About half Glocks (mostly 19's), several Sig TDA's, a Smith and Wesson 3913 (legacy gun) a full sized Beretta PX4 and a PX4 Compact Carry. If I recall only 3 were OWB, the rest of us including Ernest were AIWB. Ernest was pleased at the number of TDA's

Goals of the Class
    1 - Ernest explained that he would be showing the "why behind the techniques" he would be teaching - his real world experience.
    2 - he expected that at some point, we all would be either formal or informal instructors (significant other, friend, etc.) - there were a couple instructors in attendance
    3 - Verbiage and Drills - we would be learning that the same words would mean different things to different people and it was important to try to find the correct words that would elicit the desired effect even if the verbiage was contrary to the conventional. Also the drills we learned could be used on our own for improvement.
    4 - Personal skill development - we all wanted to be better than before we took the class.
    5 - HAVE FUN! We're all like minded people who are interested in shooting for self defense.

Theory of Training
    We are training for a GUNFIGHT therefore we need to train and then perform under as much duress as possible. Must have a combat mindset and be willing to be able to LEGALLY take another life and accept the possibility that we will die. In order to affect the best possible outcome we must be able to perform subconsciously. Hence the drills, the peer pressure and the pressure of using the shot timer. Then he touched on Cooper's color code. Presumed since we were in his class that we were constantly at least at yellow if away from our homes.
    Warrior mentality - be aggressive in the fight!
    Training the Subconscious
    Level One - Programming - explaining the technique - repetition to build muscle memory
    Level Two - Graduation - technique is mastered - not expecting this after one class - need much more repetition
    Level Three - TRAIN UNDER STRESS - have a plan at the range - do advanced drills involving time and speed - do COMPETITION - He spoke about Jim Cirillo who was a NYC cop that had been in 17 gunfights and killed 19 bad guys. When he went to shoot his first competition, he was shaking so bad that it was difficult for him to execute. Said he never felt stress like that in real life situations.

Next was stance (3030.mov), grip (3031.mov) and trigger control (3032.mov) - gave special attention to the DA pull and finger placement- see videos

Safety Briefing - Indentify trained medical personnel (we had 2), 3 trauma kits in the room, evacuation plan in case of an accident and nearest medical facility. One of the local participants had his Ford Explorer staged in case of need to transport an injured participant.

Range Rules - always hot unless told to unload. Keep pistols holstered unless told otherwise. Top off behind the line with gun in holster. Do not bend over at the line unless told to do so. Do not hurry the re-holster. TDA's to be holstered thumbing the hammer. Ernest suggested those with Glocks purchase "the gadget."

LET'S GO SHOOT!
    This was a session of basic skill assessment. We started off slow firing single shots at 3 yards to a 2 inch circle. TDA's would decock after each shot. We were using the Langdon Tactical Pistol Skills Target (National Targets LTT-1). Target had 5 vertical 2" circles on each side of the paper with a 2 B-8's stacked vertically in the middle. There were also two 4" circles with a paster in the middle that were adjacent to the #3 and #8 dot. This allowed 2 shooters to use one target. The left 2" circles, the left 4" w/paster circle and the upper B-8 and the right 2" circles, the 4' w/paster and the lower B-8. Shot strings and distance progressed to where we were shooting multiple strings at speed from 10 yards to the B-8's. Again, this was basic skills assessment. Ernest would walk the line and make suggestions to shooters and occasionally have the group stop to use a student as an example. It was never to call them out but to show us all what he was seeing from most of us and to explain why the students technique needed refining and how to fix it. Typically the results of the student improved dramatically. After watching us shoot he did a short demonstration on presentation to the target and prepping the trigger (3033.mov) Prepping the trigger and correct grip was a theme throughout the class.

After lunch he explained reloads (3036.mov) and engaging multiple targets (3038.mov). We went and shot multiple targets starting slowly transitioning from head to head and eventually moving on to the X drill at speed on the timer using the pistol training Q-PT targets and also steel. (There was a briefing on shooting steel concerning different types of steel, angles of fragmentation and minimum distance for using steel.)

Using the same targets then we worked on reloads from slide lock - again starting slowly then getting progressively more aggressive using time.

Next was a competition for a Langdon Tactical hat. 10-10-10 drill. 10 shots, 10 seconds at 10 yards to a B-8. Highest score won the hat. It wasn't me but it was shot clean.

Finished up the day with some remedial slow fire to 2" circles.

DAY 2

Started again with remedial work on the LTT-1. He gave a special address to the TDA shooters on his warm-up using the LTT-1 (3042.mov) Then it was time for a break and as we were all gathering to go back out to the range, Ernest gave impromptu address about the problems we all face with regard to trigger and recoil control and the difference between regular shooters and world class shooters - "the quality of the miss" (3043.mov)

And then it was time for the F.A.S.T. competition. Oh crap! Sub 5 scores receive a coin (16 since 2007) and sub 7 scores receive a hat pin. I shot 8.90 with minus 2, so a score of 10.90, for a barely missed headshot. I really flubbed my reload - cost A LOT of time. This was extremely stressful with arguably one of the best TDA shooters on the planet and 15 fellow class members watching . Video of EL shooting a 4.91 for the sub 5 and a 6.08 for the sub 7 (3044.mov) Looked like he was moving in slow motion on the 6.08

Next was shooting while moving - forward and back - (3046.mov - address, 3048 and 3049.mov - demo) He did not give a demonstration on lateral movement or moving around obstacles (barrels in this case) until we were on the range. Forward and back drills were shot at the PT-Q and the moving around obstacles drills were shot at steel.

We then worked on shooting strong hand only and support hand only. This was all fairly slow and controlled using the LTT-1. This lead to or next competition called the All Hands Drill. Using the PT-Q target the shooter has 6 loaded in the gun and 6 shots in each of two mags. Drawing from the holster the shooter fires 6 rounds to an 8 inch circle using both hands - now in slide lock - reload and fire 6 rounds strong hand into slide lock, reload and fire 6 rounds support hand. I did this drill really well. My reloads were smooth and I had a clean run (3052.jpg) in 21.76, missing the best score by .3. Got kudos from Ernest - it felt good!

Up next he talked to us about the differences between cover and concealment and the uses of each (3055.mov) We used barrels and shot at steel targets on either side of the barrels from standing and kneeling positions.

Back inside to have him demonstrate using only one hand to draw, rack the slide, reload and clear malfunctions (3056.mov). Using the support hand was stressed. We did this with our guns and mags empty with no ammo around. We all faced outward in a circular fashion so even with our unloaded guns and mags there would be little chance of muzzling another student.

Out to the range for our last competition of the course. The 9 shot drill (3058.mov) used 3 PT-Q targets aligned side by side from 6 feet. He told us this was designed to make us shoot so fast as to make us uncomfortable with the speed (he was right) - a good score would be sub 3.5. Shoot one to the body of the left, one to the body of the middle, two to the body of the right, one to the body of the middle, one to the body of the left, one to the head of the left, one to the head of the middle and one to the head of the right. Only clean scores counted. I was pleased with my 4.76

To wrap up the class he had us "show me what you learned" by letting us freestyle at 5 yards to a 2 inch circle. I did some DA's some SA's and some strings of fire until my 18 rounds were expended. I was really happy with the result (3059.jpg). Couldn't have done that at the start of class.

Wrap up

Total round count was around 1000 with HEAVY on day 2. We would have been wiped out had we shot as much on day one. All drills built from the bottom up. Slow, faster, faster with timer. Bottom line: It was FUN and I am a better shooter after taking this class and have some tools to use to become even better with practice. This was an outstanding class with an excellent group of students. Ernest is a hell of a nice guy and a GREAT teacher and shooter. He knew just what to say and when to say it. He knew when to let us make mistakes and when to step in to correct them. You could tell he really loves doing what he does. This won't be the last time I train with him. Oh, and I wasn't that guy!

Great AAR! Thanks for sharing! Does he allow his students to record him during class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Great AAR! Thanks for sharing! Does he allow his students to record him during class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you liked the write up. Yes. There were a couple of us who did video. I did it for myself and wouldn't think of making it public though.

The issue with recording in the LTT class I took was that 8 out of 10 students were LE, and requested to be kept anonymous.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Thanks for the write up. I'm hoping to do one of these classes. That's great info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Great summary! That's helpful even for me to read back through, and I was there.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List