Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Owens, founder of Bearing Arms, left this world early today...

Bob Owens, founder of Bearing Arms, left this world early today...

This one hits kind of close to home for me. I've shot with Bob several times as he's semi-local to me. Was always cheerful when I saw and talked to him. He passed away this morning around 11 AM from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Just goes to show that even when people might seem like they're doing fine on the outside, that's not always the case...just wow.

Godspeed Bob
    Shoot more, post less...

Sorry to hear that. RIP.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that. Thoughts with his family.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Damn. I have been following his writing since 2004 on his blog ConfederateYankee. RIP.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Bob was good people and his star was still on the ascent. He will really be missed.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Really terrible news. More info:http://ace.mu.nu/archives/369671.php

The important part:
    If anyone reading this finds themselves in a place where suicide seems like a logical and rational option, please, just reach out. Reach out to a friend of family member. Post here, (forum members) are a wonderful group of people, and there are members of this community who won't think twice about flying across the country if that's what it takes. If you don't feel comfortable speaking to people you know, even virtual people, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255. I won't pretend that I know what crippling depression is like, I have been very fortunate in that respect, but there are people who do, and they want to help you. Please. Just....reach out. There will be someone there to grab your outstretched hand, I promise.

I am very sorry to read this. My thoughts are with his family and friends, I hope they find comfort.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Really terrible news. More info:http://ace.mu.nu/archives/369671.php

The important part:
    If anyone reading this finds themselves in a place where suicide seems like a logical and rational option, please, just reach out. Reach out to a friend of family member. Post here, (forum members) are a wonderful group of people, and there are members of this community who won't think twice about flying across the country if that's what it takes. If you don't feel comfortable speaking to people you know, even virtual people, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255. I won't pretend that I know what crippling depression is like, I have been very fortunate in that respect, but there are people who do, and they want to help you. Please. Just....reach out. There will be someone there to grab your outstretched hand, I promise.

I know this subject all too well and couldn't say what needs to be said any better than soggy did ^^^^^.
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-09-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I know this subject all too well and couldn't say what needs to be said any better than soggy did ^^^^^.
    11B10: just to be clear- the quote is from the article I linked. I also found it very well said, and thought it deserved a wider audience. Apologies if the way I phrased it didn't make that clear.
    Last edited by Soggy; 05-09-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Read his blog semi-regularly. Never met him or corresponded with him but I liked his writing. Definitely a tragic loss. A glimpse of how it frequently happens:
    Name:  depcom.219.col_.400px.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  26.4 KB
    The only other thing I can say is that I know more than I want to about depression and suicide. I hope that anybody that needs help can get it.
    Last edited by Corey; 05-10-2017 at 12:17 AM.

User Tag List