Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 X-Five

Site Supporter
    Any word on the X-carry?

How bout the VTAC? No distributors even know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's squarer, with flat sides. The beavertail provides a some stability when you grip it way up high. Bruce Gray told me a lot of time and thought (and trial and error) was put into designing the new gripframe, with a specific emphasis on improving recoil control and sight tracking.
    Boom.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Boom.
    Yup. "It's squarer, with flat sides" is a theme among guns which shoot well at speed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yup. "It's squarer, with flat sides" is a theme among guns which shoot well at speed.
    Maybe...I'll agree that having a large amount of space on the side of the gun is conducive to developing a powerful grip/recoil management, it seems to be a larger factor in plastic pistols, which seem to require a higher level of attention given to grip pressure. Guns like CZ-75's, and Tanfoglio Stock IIs currently rule production division and they tend to be very easy to shoot quickly...idk maybe the weight is a thing too. As for production pistols, I shoot a Beretta 92FS considerably better than a G34 on transition drills and a touch better on a Bill drill. That said...lots of real estate on the grip.

I find that the square Glock like profiles have a less ambiguous grip. It's obvious when you grip it wrong. Having a bit of a bulge on the left side of the grip (rounder profile) helps me get some support hand behind the gun and control flip. It's a trade off in my opinion. Space on the side of the grip can often be adjusted by grip size. In any case, I'm looking forward to trying the X5 gripframe.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Maybe...I'll agree that having a large amount of space on the side of the gun is conducive to developing a powerful grip/recoil management, it seems to be a larger factor in plastic pistols, which seem to require a higher level of attention given to grip pressure. Guns like CZ-75's, and Tanfoglio Stock IIs currently rule production division and they tend to be very easy to shoot quickly...idk maybe the weight is a thing too.
    The similarity of the shape of the X-series gripframe to the current roost-ruling Tanfos & CZs is probably not a coincidence.

Similarly, the X-Five has removable/addable weights in the grip area and can utilize 1911 guide rods (including heavy tungsten ones.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 06-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I picked up a P320 X5 this weekend. I haven't had a chance to put any rounds through it but it feels nice in the hand for what that's worth. The front/rear sight combo seems nice but there is certainly some "air" around the front sight.

The only disappoint is that, as I discovered today, it appears that Sig no longer offers a 20% discount for items from the Sig store when you register the warranty for a firearm.

Somebody had one of these at the Gabe White class last weekend. No idea on how it shot but I don't think there was a single unreliable pistol there.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I ran a new X-Five at Gabe's class. Very different from my P320 Full. It's better-balanced and less top-heavy, especially with the grip weight insert. No obvious, big differences in bore axis (a touch lower than P320F) or grip angle but shoots noticeably flatter and points as naturally as the P320F. Grip shape is very different and a big advantage for me. Crush-gripping is about the same but a high "torque" grip is much easier because of the flat, tall gripframe panels. Very useful on a 98 degree day with much sweat and little friction. The undercut feels great and little details like the rounded frame edges pay great dividends. No blisters or pressure areas after a thousand rounds of aggressive use. That's excellent, considering how little time I had on the gun before class and the abrasiveness of skateboard tape I stuck on it. I also credit the stock with resolving a problem I had with the P320F where I consistently indexed slightly left on presentation, especially at speed. I had a dozen or so malfunctions but I'm confident it's the ammo - been having lots of issues with FM 147 gr reman lately. I really can't think of any negatives. I think Tamara is spot on in saying that a lot of thought went into the design. A real "shooter's gun" and a bargain at $850. Gonna stick my Romeo1 on this week and see how that handles.

User Tag List