Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MP-5 Clones

MP-5 Clones

I like the idea of a folding not-a-stock on an MP-5 pistol. I prefer the standard to the K.

Who makes the best clone? Some are more than twice the price of others. Worth it?

With HK opening a new factory in the US, wait to see if they produce it?
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I'm very pleased with my Zenith Z-5RS, which I've since SBR'd. I did have some initial reliability problems, but Atlantic Firearms and Zenith were fantastic to work with, and they fixed the issue promptly (and at no expense to me). Been 100% since. I'm pleased with the quality to price - and I'm confident that Zenith's customer service will fix any issue.

I'd love to see HK offer their roller-locks domestically, but I suspect we're going to see more MR556 and VP9 options. I'll be happy to be wrong though.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I was going to pick up a Zenith but I'm going to wait to see what the new US factory cranks out. I want one purely as a range toy/want, so I'm fine with waiting a while. But if I was picking today I'd go with a Zenith. If you want something to rub with a diaper while you sit on the couch and post on HKPro, get a Dakota Tactical.
    Shoot more, post less...

I only have experience with the Zeniths. A friend's Z5P had some issues; trigger would often need to be pushed forward to reset after firing (fixed on first trip to zenith), tri lug would not fit (IIRC) gemtech tri lug adapter (fixed by friend removing metal on tri lug), would not reliably feed truncated cone 147gr (fixed on second trip to zenith). Both trips back were paid for by zenith and turnaround time was very quick.

One new stock 5P charging handle/bolt carrier would hang up halfway to the rear when being retracted unless yanked back with a friggin vengeance. No idea what was causing it but it mostly got cleared up after ~1k cycles.

One new stock 5P would not accept magazines out of the box, IIRC the paint (or whatever) inside the mag well was too thick. Got cleared up by shoving magazines in it repeatedly for about an hour while wiping out all the black shit out of the mag well.

My personal RS has occasional trigger reset issues and the arm brace is shaped such as to make using the iron sights impossible (I see there will be a folding B&T style brace coming soon, which will solve that problem).

As a general rule I don't trust Turkish guns as far as I can piss facing the wind but I am confident that the importer's CS will be able to fix any problems you might have with no hassle. Given it's a longtime itch-scratching range toy that looks cool as hell and is stupid fun to shoot I feel I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

ETA: Also it has a paddle mag release as God intended, big plus over the HK.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 05-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Not that it's currently an issue for me, but the Zenith guns, similar to the SP5K, can't host a registered sear. MKE makes their own trigger packs for this reason and there are many reports that they can be balky. I have also heard that the MKE 3-lug barrels are hit and miss as far as being able to accept suppressor adaptors. I'm interested in a clone that is sear-ready (just in case), has the paddle mag release, will accept my Octane-9 and it's 3-lug adaptor, has fit and finish similar to HK factory guns and has no function issues. On paper, I like the look of Brethren Arms guns. They weld a pic rail to the receiver that looks pretty low.

https://brethrenarms.com/product/ba-...actory-pistol/

If price is not a barrier, there is only one answer: Dakota Tactical. https://dakotatactical.com/d54n/

Everything I have read and seen about them screams quality.

I'm saving my pennies for a DT45/10 A3 SBR.

ETA: I was just informed someone with meat-space experience with a DT gun has had less than stellar results. Disregard my above post.
    Last edited by JDM; 05-09-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I have been told that Special Weapons is the premier H&K clone maker.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    If price is not a barrier, there is only one answer: Dakota Tactical. https://dakotatactical.com/d54n/

Everything I have read and seen about them screams quality.

I'm saving my pennies for a DT45/10 A3 SBR.

ETA: I was just informed someone with meat-space experience with a DT gun has had less than stellar results. Disregard my above post.
    Are you at liberty to discuss what was wrong with the gun? Dakota Tactical certainly has a stellar reputation, AFAIK.

And FWIW, here's a raffle for a good cause for an MP5 clone: https://www.navysealmuseum.org/raffl...-dick-marcinko

The Brethren Armament rep on HKPro has stated that they think that MAD is a high quality competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have been told that Special Weapons is the premier H&K clone maker.

Are you at liberty to discuss what was wrong with the gun? Dakota Tactical certainly has a stellar reputation, AFAIK.

And FWIW, here's a raffle for a good cause for an MP5 clone: https://www.navysealmuseum.org/raffl...-dick-marcinko

The Brethren Armament rep on HKPro has stated that they think that MAD is a high quality competitor.
    Not my gun, so I am not going to talk about it. I don't think it is super secret, and I am sure the owner will tell the story once the time is right. He isn't exactly the bashful type.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I recently got a new Dakota Tactical, D54-N A1 pistol. It is not running. I spoke with Joe, the owner, and he was responsive. It is headed back to him for attention. Will report after I get it back.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What are the issues causing so much unreliability? The MP-5 is not particularly complicated. I'm concerned about paying $1600-$4000 for something that has to go back and forth to the manufacturer.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List