Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Beater pistol" project: 1911 edition

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    WTF? Kings is gone? That's a shame.

Speaking from experience, turning a beater, off brand 1911 into something "nicer" and more functional is a great way to learn your way around these things. It can also be very frustrating and an excellent way to spend several hundred dollars turning a $200 gun into a $200 gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    WTF? Kings is gone? That's a shame.

Speaking from experience, turning a beater, off brand 1911 into something "nicer" and more functional is a great way to learn your way around these things. It can also be very frustrating and an excellent way to spend several hundred dollars turning a $200 gun into a $200 gun.
    Yeah, but if he botches it then all he did was trash a Turkish Turd. I'd rather do that to a Tisas than a Colt. AND he'll walk away with good experience that he can put towards a nicer base pistol down the road. Tempted to do this myself someday.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Yeah, but if he botches it then all he did was trash a Turkish Turd. I'd rather do that to a Tisas than a Colt. AND he'll walk away with good experience that he can put towards a nicer base pistol down the road. Tempted to do this myself someday.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Oh I agree. There's nothing wrong with doing it, you just have to make sure you're clear in your head on your reasons why. I turned a couple low rent 1911's into nicer guns in my time. For the time and money I spent, I could have just bought a nicer pistol to begin with. I knew that going in, but I valued the learning curve.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If it's got the original GI spec narrow tenon (or some bastard Turkish tenon size all its own) it might be worth hogging out the hole to take newer wide tenon front sights.
    But hell if you're going to do that why not just have a Novak dovetail cut instead? Excepting if a person simply wants a staked sight to preserve the original look.

Or file a wide tenon to fit the Turkish Delight Tenon.
    I would go with the cross dovetail for greater selection of sights, but then I have a local guy to cut it.

I think it will work out well.
    Here is a guy who put some real surplus small parts on a Tisas, had it Parkerized, and came out looking very GI.
    https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...06&postcount=1
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 05-09-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I went down this road with a Chinese 1911 in 9mm a few years ago. I never could get it to run right and quickly lost interest. Best of luck with your project.

Some things to look for:

Check the extractor to see if it is a true 1911 9mm extractor. Mine was not.

Check the ejector and make sure your mags don't touch it when inserted hard during reloads, otherwise you will break the ejector. I had to dremel mine to fix it,

My gun had a lose lock up and accuracy suffered. I didn't want to get into messing with the barrel link to solve it though.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    But hell if you're going to do that why not just have a Novak dovetail cut instead? Excepting if a person simply wants a staked sight to preserve the original look.
    Dovetail cut is preferable, obviously, but can't be done yourself with needle files. If one is just doing it as a fun DIY project as opposed to sending it to a 'smith for custom work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    Or file a wide tenon to fit the Turkish Delight Tenon.
    I was thinking he wanted night sights. They tend to get spit off if you narrow the tenon, IME.

EDITED TO ADD: My beater 1911 DIY gun...

Name:  sistema.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  101.3 KB

I put in a Cylinder & Slide "Warp Speed" lockwork set, fit the thumb safety off a Para LTC and a Dlask trigger and a spare mag release that I had in my parts bin, replaced all the pins and springs, fit a new MSH... Maybe someday I'll fit a barrel, put some sights on it, and Cerakote the thing...
    Last edited by Tamara; 05-10-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Dovetail cut is preferable, obviously, but can't be done yourself with needle files.
    Not like I have done it myself, but Brownells has the safe edge files specifically for cutting the angle. I bought one because I thought my Springfield was gonna need to be changed from 60 degree to 65 degree on the front but when I changed the sights the gun was old enough to be 60 so I sent the file back. I believe I read that Bill Nesbitt did exactly this to put the front sight on the cool K in his avatar. Now, perhaps he has bigger stones and more skill than me, and maybe he did this when you could get another M10 for $150.

My beater 1911 DIY gun...
    Name:  sistema.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  101.3 KB
    Maybe someday...Cerakote the thing...
    I think that is crying out for Krylon!

I was thinking he wanted night sights. They tend to get spit off if you narrow the tenon, IME.
    If he wants night sights, he should pay the rest of the freight and get a front dovetail.
    The only narrowed tenon sight I have is a plain blade made out of a blank to get the height needed.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If he wants night sights, he should pay the rest of the freight and get a front dovetail.
    I've had good luck with Trij's wide-tenon front on this. (And I liked the look, so there! )

Name:  colt1.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  79.5 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List