Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Beater pistol" project: 1911 edition

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Yeah, the only thing that had me wanting a Novak rear cut was to add an adjustable rear. Not a huge fan of the bomar cut. And most adjustables that sit above the slide are hideous and would shred my hand in an over hand rack.

The Dawson GI/fiber may be to cost effective way to go.

Don't want to spend more than I have in the whole gun on milling and new sights! This is supposed to be my cheap ass beater gun. But useful sights are kind of non negotiable.
    Any sight other than a retro style that you install in the GI dovetail is going to look somewhat, well... "different".

Having Novak slots milled into your slide would give you the most options. Note that some of Novak's adjustable rear sights have adjustments for both windage and elevation, while with other models you loosen the set screw and drift the sight to adjust windage. The main expense will be having the slide altered of course.

The Harrison retro rear with some type of bead or dot front provides a really nice sight picture. Much better than standard GI sights.

Whichever route you take, if you decide to install a staked front sight it's important that the installer knows how to do it properly. Once installed, the front sight cannot be removed without damaging it and it cannot be reinstalled.

Ay freaking men.
    I just cannot see paying a hundred bucks to mill a slide for a fad gimmick FIXED sight. Obviously Novak has made it pay... but not from me.
    I have had fixed sights in the GI dovetail from King, Wilson, and even Novak. I miss the King products, simple visible sights, a thumb safety that fits my thumb, good stout barrel bushings, etc. I do have a couple of Novak Low Mounts, but the guns came with them.

Perhaps strangely to some, I WILL pay for a cross dovetail front sight installation. I just wish the industry had agreed on one size. .300 or .330, 60 or 65, AUGH!

Read Dawson's Perfect Impact Policy here:
    https://dawsonprecision.com/product_...g?t=1440019909

As to staked on front sights: "We offer several tenon widths for stake on sights. Please call us toll free, at 866-300-1911, to discuss options with one of our friendly sales staff."

I would definitely talk to staff about sights for a Turkish copy.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 05-09-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Do I remember somebody makes a big post that is intended to be filed down to get to zero, with the intent of measuring it to then order what you need? Dunno, CRS these days...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Yes, it functions as is. With 25 "flawless" round through it. Mostly cosmetic and rust issues. And the fact it's Turkish, so it may be made of Zinc for all I know.

The Harrison sight is interesting. I like the rear, but would want a stake on Fiber Optic front. Matching up the height I need may be an issue.... any front fiber suggestions to match with that rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dawson. They will make whatever height you need.

Last edited by jandbj; 05-09-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I miss the King products

Great stuff. Time to subscribe to this reference book.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Huh. Somehow I missed the MGW staked front sights. I have a feeling the pistol in question will require the narrow tenon, if it is even a standard slot at all.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Take off every Zig. For great justice.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If it's got the original GI spec narrow tenon (or some bastard Turkish tenon size all its own) it might be worth hogging out the hole to take newer wide tenon front sights.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List