Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long revolvers

.32 S&W Long revolvers

Sort of stumbled onto this great forum this afternoon. Guess I must have registered some time ago, but never posted.

Started to fall in love (or revive an old love affair) with my old revolvers lately. Here is my "closet" affair with .32 S&W Long revolvers. Guess I really want a S&W model 31 without getting a home equity loan.

Picked up this Colt (made in 1915) several years ago. It is a Police Positive labeled ".32 Police Ctg. (which is the same as .32 S&W Long). Installed some re-popped grips, shot it a few times and put it in the safe.

Yesterday, while browsing at my local gun shop, I spotted this H&R revolver chambered in the .32 S&W Long. The gun looks like it has hardly ever been shot, so it followed me home. The gun has a "safety bar" so I guess it was made between 1973 and 1986. What a tank this thing is.

The guns are shown with some FMJ Fiocchi ammo which worked well. I put an order in for some 32 SW Long Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point from Magtech, in case I want to carry some more serious ammo.

Wouldn't mind trying some of the Buffalo Bore hard case ammo but I would probably only shoot it in the H&R and not the old Colt.

I think this love affair started when I was drooling over a nice S&W model 31 in .32 S&W Long several years ago at a gun show. Should have bought it because since then the only other one I have seen was this year at a gun show in Florida for about $700 (I think the first one I saw I could have picked up for about $500).

I guess Theodore Roosevelt, when he was the Police Commissioner in NYC in the early 1900's, was on to something when he outfitted the NYPD with .32 revolvers. (I know there were not a bunch of hopped up "meth heads" running around then, so I guess a .32 was OK for the police at that time.)

Just thought I would share this with the forum gang. No, I do not plan on carrying my H&R. Well maybe if I bought some Buffalo Bore ammo, hmmmmm'.

Trooper Joe

I've got one also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

Now I just need to shoot it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

Here is my old S&W Regulation Police in .32 S&W Long.

Ive had a case of the wants for a 32 hand ejector with 3 1/4" barrel and original hard rubber grips. They look like a 4" 38 M&P (thats a pre-model 10 for the youngsters) that was shrunken down. It would make a great geezer gun, for fun shooting and a potential carry gun for creaky hands/body. Should be a dandy skunk slayer in the yard also. Theres some great bullet molds for the 32's.

I'm up to three. I've got a Colt Pocket Positive (a favorite of Roosevelt and J. Edgar Hoover) dated 1919, a S&W 1903HE with three and half inch barrel dated 1920 and a Colt Police Positive dated 1908. The Pocket Positive and Hand Ejector have both been lettered (normal sales not LEO). Haven't lettered the PP yet.

These are the only revolvers I can shoot. (See "Pain in shooting hand" thread).

Primarily I've been shooting Wadcutters because that's what my LGS had in stock. Massachusetts won't allow online sales so I'm limited what I can shoot. I might try reloading and maybe the Buffalo Bore stuff.

I'm also on the hunt for an "H&R 732" because "It was one at door and two at the chandelier....No it was one at the chandelier."

I have 3: a 1949 detective special, a 1967 detective special with the cylinders bored out to accept 32 magnum, and a 1951 Police positive special. I hand load with 100gr DEWC and 700x- such a fun little caliber.

I have 2 HR 32SW revolvers that were left by my wife's granfather. I've never shot them

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Name:  31-1.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  99.7 KB

One of my favorite little wheelguns to shoot is this 4" 31-1...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

It's been said that I have an unhealthy obsession with .32 caliber revolvers.

4" 30-1

4" 16-4

3" 30-1
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List